I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Random questions
Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: March 09, 2011 09:39PM

My search-Fu here is always sub-par here...so here's a few questions for people with better search ability or actual knowledge...
Can you order a minima seat with different i.d.'s for each part of the seat? The blank I'd like to try the seat on is about 10.9mm 8" from the butt, and about 10.6mm 11.5" from the butt. Do you buy smaller and ream out? I imagine epoxying this seat to the blank on straight is annoying...what methods have worked for others here?
How much difference is there between a minima fly guide size 4 and a american tackle or fuji micro size 4? And a 3.5 micro? Has anyone had issues with the ring-lock on the AT frames rubbing on line?
If I go with fuji, and the titanium frames. The smallest ring tip will be 5.5 for a 4.5/64 tube...will that difference in size hurt the performance of the micros? Or be unnoticeable?
Thanks,
Ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Random questions
Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: March 09, 2011 09:46PM

Sorry...my phone will double post sometimes...

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2011 09:20AM

I don't think so - they come as a kit with both parts sized the same. Order for the smallest diameter of the blank you need to fit, and read the rear part out accordingly.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 10:44AM

The Minima real seat for the threaded section will need a bushing added to it to fit to blank more than likely. Figure where the other section is going to go and size it to that. I tend to get a bit smaller and ream it out. You need to be careful with reaming it straight.

The Minima guides compared to the others will have a bigger ID for the insert since it is so thin. I have heard many using the micros with a tip ring size of 6 for alot of the bass rod setups.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 04:16PM

That seat comes sized together. I would order as close as I could get without being too big and then gently and carefully ream it to fit. Then just epoxy an arbor or 2 (as needed) into the threaded portion and ream to fit the blank.
I use an old reel to line them up. Just let your epoxy firm up and put the reel you're going to use or one similar, tighten the threaded portion and that'll keep it lined up. Just make sure you don't move the barrel.
Personally, I prefer the Am. Tack Artus micro guides. Never had a problem with them even before they were called Artus.
You shouldn't have any problems with that top either. It might look a little funny but it'll work fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster