I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PacBay rod lathe chuck
Posted by: Robert Liegel (---.35-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2011 02:44PM

I have a problem with rods falling out of the lathe chuck, it's a PacBay lathe with the upgraded aluminum chuck. In wrapping mode I must stop several times during each guide to reposition and retighten the but in the chuck. Now I'm a novice so my wrapping speeds are SLOW.
In drying mode, after applying the finish if I leave the rod for more than a few minutes I will return to find the rod but has worked its way out of the chuck.
If I'm in the free spool mode (no "O" ring drive ) as I try to do decorative butt wraps turning by hand I still must reposition the butt frequently.
I've tried adjusting the three rod supports as level as possible, tilted them up and tilted them down, same results.
It doesn't matter what shape the butt is in, EVA, Hypalon, aluminum gimbals (these I tried wrapping in masking tape to get a better purchase) or bare glass, the butts still walk out. I've cleaned and repositioned the rubber jaw covers.
Help ! Do I have a defective chuck, am I doing something not obviously stupid, should I start saving my pennies for a Renzetti?
Thank you,
Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PacBay rod lathe chuck
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2011 03:04PM

Trying to securely check a rigid item can be difficult.

I would wait and install the butt cap until after the rod is finished. This will allow you to insert a scrap piece of rod blank into the rod butt, snugly, and then use a fairly good sized mashing tape bushing on the other end of the scrap piece so that you can put a good amount of chucking power on the bushing.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: March 08, 2011 03:17PM

Mr. Liegel,
Please send me an email at info@fishpacbay.com and I'd be happy to provide you with some assistance.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Dan Makauskas (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2011 03:19PM

I had the same problem and I don't think it's exclusive to Pac Bay. A while back someone posted on using rubberbands to solve this . I now leave the butt cap off and put a rubber band snugly on either the blank or a piece of scrap in the rod butt. I found the thick 1/4" wide ones solved the problem for me. One warning: if the band is uneven, the rod may not spin true. So if you are going to turn cork/eva on the rod it may be an issue.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2011 03:51PM

Here is what I did to solve the issue I was having

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bob Pratt (12.189.32.---)
Date: March 08, 2011 04:56PM

I had the same problem with a rod that had a ferrule for an aluminum butt, I tried the rubber bands and it helped a little but did not completely solve the problem so I wrapped the ferrule with masking tape with one wrap reversed with sticky side out. Problem solved.
Bob

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: March 08, 2011 05:01PM

G'Day Robert

I had the same problem with my Alps wrapper . My solution was to make sure the rod was laying parallel to the bed ( I use a laser beam for this ) & then I wrap 2 rubber bands joined together around the blank & anchor them around the back of the chuck . This has solved my problem completely

Regards Baz

Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: March 08, 2011 05:06PM

I had asked this same question to the Pac Bay rep at ICRBE. He recommended a few wraps of masking tape around the blank to give the chuck something to bite into

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2011 07:17PM

Robert:
[www.fishpacbay.com]

Do you have both the convex as well as the concave liners for the jaws?

If you don't get both sets of jaw liners.

Then, with the concave jaws in place, take about 3 or 4 layers of masking tape over the jaws and liners. This will further cushion the jaws and allow for variations in the runout of the rod and keep the rod in the chuck.

Good luck
Roger

Date: March 08, 2011 08:41PM

Raymond,
I initially tried the same thing as you have here. i.e. a layer of cork tape on the chuck. Although it helped a great deal, it didn't eliminate the problem.

The next thing that I did was to use my round disk sander to sand a concave impression into each lathe chuck. I used a caliper with frequent chucks to insure that all of the sanding depressions were equal. then, after completing the sanding, I had to do some tweaking sanding to get the blank to track true with the depressions sanded into the jaws. Again, this helped even more than just the bare jaws, or the jaw covers that came with the chuck.
But, it still didn't eliminte the problem 100 % of the time. Then, I added 3 layers of masking tape to the jaw faces with the depressions sanded into the faces of the jaws, and this have given me 100% hookup to the handles without having to worry about the handle coming loose.

If, you can do as Tom suggested, i..e use a shaft or similar material inserted into the center of the blank, without a butt cap in place is really the very best way to insure that the handle will be stable solid and have 100% true runout. If you have a completed rod, with the butt cap in place, this of course is not possible.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Kern Davis (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 08, 2011 11:37PM

Newbie to the pacbay wrapper. Had the same problem, changed to the concave covers, leveled rod to bed chucked it up (rod with butt cap) and ran at about 1500 rpm for 4 min. all was well. IMPORTANT for rod to be level with chuck .

Kern Davis, Lady Lake Fl.

Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 09, 2011 10:07AM

Kern.... where did you get the concave covers from? I'd rather go that route than all the quick fixes with limited success I've read about.
Thanks,
Jeff Davis

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: March 09, 2011 12:10PM

Dan,
I may have been one of the people that used the flat surgical tubing. What I do is snug up the chuck on the end of the rod as tightly as possible and then wrap the surgical tubing very tightly around the jaws of the chuck. On the last turn of the surgical tubing, I insert my finger and then insert the butt of the surgical tubing under my finger. I haven't had a problem since I started using the flat 1/2" surgical tubing. I tested this at top speed and there is no "walking" of the rod out of the chuck.

Mike Blomme

Date: March 09, 2011 09:22PM

Jeff,
Any pac bay supplier should be able to get the concave chuck covers for you. They are a relatively new addtion to the chuck and work very very well.
Roger

Posted by: Kern Davis (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 09:55PM

Jeff, i purchased my wrapper from Donart at the expo, they come with 2 sets of covers.

Kern Davis, Lady Lake Fl.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster