I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji Alconite BLCAG "Low Riders" surf guides
Posted by: Chuck Howard (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2011 09:26PM

Has anyone built a rod using these guides? I am working on a 11' 2 piece Tommy Farmer 2-5oz blank. I'll use a 5000 Diawa Saltist reel with 30 to 50lb braid.

I was planing to run 20, 16, 12 ,10, 8x4 with an 8 top. You have said before that using braid lends itself well to a smaller stripper, the 5000 Saltist has a 3" diameter spool- 20 size stripper still OK? Also; I have used tall and stanard frames before to step down to the chocker guide when using single foot guides, and I won't have that option with this model guide: this why I a curious if anyone has built a rod with these guides.

Thanks,
Chuck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji Alconite BLCAG "Low Riders" surf guides
Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 02, 2011 09:54PM

I have built several with those guides, they were originally intended for rods over 12' in length but you can make it work. YOu will find that you dont need as many guides as you have listed with the lowriders. I personally like to switch to the MN's after the 16 as I feel I get a little better layout that way. One thing though a 5000 saltist is huge for that blank, I would use a 4000 size daiwa reel or 5000 shimano if it were me. I have built all models of Tommys line and like them all.
PS, I see your in NC what part?
thanks
Chuck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2011 09:57PM

When in doubt, buy a few extra guides and just try some different set ups. What's a few extra bucks against many years of pleasant use of a good rod?

Let the line path tell you what size guides to use.

Posted by: Chuck Howard (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2011 08:06PM

Chuck,
I live in Concord near the Lowes motor speedway. A friend took me to Seaview pier in N. Topsail a few years back and introduced me to Greg, Frank, Tom and the gang(now there is a Motley crew for ya!).

As far as the 5000- I have only had my hand on a 4000 and you may be right on about the 5000 being oversized for the rod. A 4000 is more than enought I am sure- I am trying to compare an older T5500 Emblem I have and the two are probably apples to oranges.

I called Tommy Farmer and he gave me the specs his rods are built on. Great guy; very personable Chap:

Tip Top 12 8 Fuji BPOT
Guide Sizes 12 12 16 20 25 30 40
Guide Spacing 4.75" 5.5" 6" 7.5" 11" 15" 20.75"
Fuji BSVAG Alconite High frame spinning guide

I have a 12' 2 piece Shimano Socorro with 4 guides and a 12top(40 25 20 16).

NGC has a 11' sea bass layout with 30 20 16 20 12 8x3 an 8 top.

So based on all this info Tom's advice is as sound as any- just wished I had a store close and did'nt have to order everything. I am a bit curious as to the different thinking between the running guide/tip size. The smallest ring size top could be an 8. As I lay out this blank with the 27 rule- I am going to be left with about 25 inches to the top from the chocker point.

P.S. Chuck- maybe sometime we could sling some lead, drowm some bait, and put a few fish on the barbe.
Thanks again for all your thoughts,
Chuck

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 03, 2011 09:19PM

Im just up the road from you in Salisbury, I have quite a few guides in stock here as I do built a lot. I have a set of low riders on order just to have you are more than welcome to come by sometime and check out what I have, shoot me an email if you want
Chuck
getbentcustomrods@yahoo.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster