I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

which rod blanks ?
Posted by: Frank Ferguson (96.19.44.---)
Date: February 28, 2011 09:05PM

ok,

im looking to build a few new rods for myself. well really a whole new arsenal of rods !!

I have been looking at the MHX blanks from mudhole. Im looking to build rods for : pitchin/ flippin (jigs and soft plastics, crankbaits ( shallow to deep, rattletraps) spinnerbaits-chattersbaits-buzzbaits, topwater, hollowbody swimbaits ( money minow style), t-rigs, carolina rigs, frogs ( spro, ribbit style)

i know this is alot i know but i have been wanting to do this for a while because i can save a little money and desgn them myself with the colors and grips and guides i like, but i just need the right blanks to use... i have also thought about the st croix SCI blanks like the ones they use with the legend tournament rods, but i might as well buy a rod finished for that price.

so if anyone can shd some light on the right blanks for me i would appreciate it.

right now the rods that i fish with are the carrot stixs, and kistler magnesium and argon rods, dobyns... so im looking for something as good or better ????

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which rod blanks ?
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 09:31PM

Am I understanding this as you have never built a rod before? If so, I would buy an inexpensive blank, inexpensive guides, and learn how to build a rod first because more than likely you will make some mistakes. Once you feel confident with building, then start really going after your new arsenal. Promise you will learn a few things along the way that will change your idea on what blanks you want.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Brent Boxall (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 09:57PM

I'm a novice builder having only build a dozen or so rods over the past 6 years but here is what I have learned:
Mud Hole has a section in their catalog on "How to build a rod" which covers the basic principles.
Get a book like the Rod-Building Guide by Tom Kirkman (I liked this one)
I think there may be some good videos out there although I haven't bought any.
My first 3 rods were putting new guides on some older All Star rods I had that the guides messed up on. This allows you to practice one piece of the art, wrapping guides without the added complexity of handles and reel seats.
I think it would be neat to take a class like the one Mud Hole offers but I never got around to doing that.

I've gotten help here on this page, everyone seems very helpful so if you run across questions ask here.

Above all, take your time! Dry fit you cork handles and reel seat.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.60.186.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 10:52PM

You can't go wrong with the MHX line of blanks.
For spinner baits, top water I've found that the SJ843 is an awesome blank. I've built 2-3 of them for myself and a couple for other anglers and they are awesome.
The CB series is also my choice when I start working on crank bait rods.

Feel free to get in touch with me if I can help you.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2011 11:17PM

follow alex's advice....take a class, read up on it , and learn to build a rod before plunging into an arsenal of blanks...it will save you time, money, and lots of frustration

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 11:44PM

I agree with John and want to add that when you start building your arsenal you are going to ask yourself, "What ever happened to saving all of that money"? You are going to find that its really a tough assignment to match the quality of your top lines "of off the shelf" rods for less than you can buy them for off the shelf. The rod manufacturers buy in bulk and straight from the component makers. You will be hard pressed to buy the same items for any where near what they pay.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 08:11AM

Les Stewart Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with John and want to add that when you
> start building your arsenal you are going to ask
> yourself, "What ever happened to saving all of
> that money"? You are going to find that its really
> a tough assignment to match the quality of your
> top lines "of off the shelf" rods for less than
> you can buy them for off the shelf. The rod
> manufacturers buy in bulk and straight from the
> component makers. You will be hard pressed to buy
> the same items for any where near what they pay.

Not true but in only really rare cases.
I can build anything I need, or maybe want is a better word, cheaper than I can buy the closest "off the shelf" rod and have it the BK way. I can either match my boat or design a rod for my favorite bait or add enough blink to cause rubber necking or just about anything else.
But if you're buying Ugly Sticks, and there's nothing wrong with that, then yes it's hard to save anything.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: March 01, 2011 09:50AM

Keep in mind this example - retail cost of components (closest I can find available) for one of the rods mentioned in the original post:
4C70MHF $165.00
Fuji ECS $3.65
split grip $9.20
Fuji Tip $3.09
Fuji guides $15.60
Hookkeeper $0.75
Shipping $20.00
Winding check $2.59
Misc (thread, etc) $5.00
$224.88
Labor $25
$249.88

The same rod - the LTBC70MHF - retails for $240 with darn good quality. Better than lots of custom rods I've seen. Les is right about the cost.

If you are buying at retail prices, personally I think you have forget the "saving money" part most of the time and look at the fact you're able to create something you aren't going to be able to buy off any shelf.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2011 09:52AM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: Garry Hall (---.desm.qwest.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 11:01AM

Here is what I did.

I watched every video that I could find online and then watched them all again. Some I watched 3-4 times. Practice wrapping on an old blank, dowel, gun cleaning rod etc... Develop a method and stick with it. Research on this forum and another rod building forum similar to this that is great as well. Read all pertinent articles in the rod builders library etc....

I would look into buying a cheap blank like those on closeout on Utmost's site. Last I checked they had some bass blanks for $15.00. You should be able to throw one together for about $50.00 or less, minus the required rod building tools and epoxies etc...

Beware as it is addictive. Mine started out as a hobby that turned into an addiction that turned into a small business.

In regards to saving money. It probably wont happen, but you can build the rod to suit you and your intended application with nearly any component imagineable and make it unlike anyrhing you can find "on the rack"

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: March 01, 2011 01:48PM

Frank where are you located? Each of us have a special manufacture and blank model series. That meet our personal needs. Even when I was in business as a custom rod builder/designer I always did it face to face never over the phone. Too many vendibles evolved. If possible I would hook up with other builders or a supplier.

Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 01, 2011 01:50PM

Frank where are you located? Each of us have a special manufacture and blank model series. That meet our personal needs. Even when I was in business as a custom rod builder/designer I always did it face to face never over the phone. Too many vendibles evolved. If possible I would hook up with other builders or a supplier. You have a hidden email, You can email me at balcomberods@aol.com

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 03, 2011 03:47PM

yeah you're probably not going to save any money building custom rods and trying to make money off of them is even more difficult. but it does have it's rewards. you get what you want. not what the company wants. that's a huge plus for me. the thing that held me back from building for the longest time was that I calculated the final price for a fly rod that I wanted to build and it came in close to $700 and it wasn't even a sage! but it's a great hobby and it really builds character. if there is only one hobby to get into, it's this one...but without fishing we wouldn't be doing what we're doing. good luck!

Date: March 03, 2011 04:33PM

Cheng remember that 700 dollar rod you plan to build would be worth a1,000 or more on the open market. If you are using the best part available. As a retired storefront owner who built custom rods and repaired rod and reels, no bait or tackle. I operated my business for over 25 years and made a good living at it. It allowed me to fish Alaska, Mexico, Hawaii, And Australia. I never had ads or give aways . I was just in the phone book, What I did was I promoted my self on a local fishing and hunting radio program. By giving out fishing info. (not advertising my company, I justed used my first name and the town I was from) Then I was hired by a magazine to write a fishing report weekly again I did not use my company name. Word of mouth was my best advertiser, I found a notch in the rod world and I filled it, then I expanded. What is most important is to know what is out there and learn the benefits of each. Then of course what helps is LOCATION-LOCATION. Oh yes the first 5 years I starved

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster