I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is it possible?
Posted by: Nathaniel Jablonski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 01:15PM

Is it possible to strip an old rod and rebuild it with new parts? I know how to remove the guides but how would I go about removing the reel seat and cork grips? I have an old fenwick HMX baitcasting rod I wouldn't mind customizing and making as light as possible. Is it even worth trying or am I just setting myself up for a major disaster? Any advice would be helpful

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it possible?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 01:33PM

The cork grips can be "shredded off" using a pair of pliers then cleaning up with sanding screen/sand paper. It doesn't have to be perfect if the new grips will cover the old area. You may be able to remove the reel seat by softening the epoxy by putting the seat assembly in boiling water. Failing that cutting laterally / length wise through the reel seat ( missing the rod blank) with a dremel abrasive wheel & prying the two halves off with a flat bladed screw driver will (twisting motion not lever action between reel seat and blank) will certainly work. Depending on the diameter of the blank and the taper you will probably be able to slide grips and reel seat back on from the rear of the blank and not have to remove the guides unless you want to re-wrap those as well. If you are removing the guides then install "tip down" (normal rod construction).

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 01:36PM

Have done it alot, but I would say don't bother trying to save the cork and reelseat. Those items can be removed, if you do a search, there has been alot talked before. Myself I just cut them off the blank and start with all new parts. You might also have to refinish the blank itself, myself the best way I have found to get all the old finish off the blank is by scapping, using a razor blade held perpindicular to the blank and scapping off the finish.

Date: February 28, 2011 01:46PM

Wow that seems easier than I expected. I don't plan on saving the reel seat or grips so I'll just do my best cutting them off. Thanks guys

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 02:57PM

Just be careful and do not cut into the blank A wood rasp or even a knife will take most of any cork of. The seat even a hack saw will cut down the center then pry with a screw driver

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 03:38PM

Just take your time and do not rush. What type of reel seat? If it is Graphite, just cut it off as mentioned above. If it is metal, use heat like a blue flam from a Butane torch. When I use the torch I do it this way. I place a cold iced towel at both ends of the seat, close by I have a preset pare of Vice grips. Next I apply heat to the grip, moving the flame never let the heat concentrate on one spot. When I first see puffs of steam from ether end of the seat I remove the heat and take the grips and slowly twist. This should break it free. Quickly remove the seat and lay a cool towel on the rod.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 06:01PM

I've rebuilt some older All Star rods and they turn out great. I would definitely remove all the guides and replace with micro guides. Remove the cork handle and reel seat and replace with both a split grip and split reel seat. You should use either an exacto knife or razor blade to scrape any epoxy residue. You can get aggresive with the scraping, but be careful. I've found the best way to remove the guides is to lightly heat the wraps and cut on top of the guide foot with the exacto knife. Factory finish usually comes off easy. Between the split grips you should wrap with thread to cover up the residue from the full handle. This can be a place to add some color, or maybe a tiger wrap, or the varegated thread.....
When you put on micro guides you will need to extend your wrap a little to cover up some of the residue from the old wraps.

This is a great way to bring an old blank back to life. While your cutting and scraping you'll think you're just making a bigger mess, but the final rod turns out very nice. Only drawback is it tends to be a long tedious job getting all the epoxy scraped off and my behind stays puckered up while I'm cutting the reel seat with a dremel.

Todd

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: February 28, 2011 06:05PM

check out Raymond Adams site [www.rodbuildingtutorials.com] I am sure you well find all the info you need

Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 01, 2011 01:29AM

Thanks again guys. You know Todd, you nailed it with your suggestion on what I should do with the rod. I'm planning on putting on micro guides, split grips and a split reel seat and filling the spaces with a tiger wrap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster