I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thinning up guide feet
Posted by: Jonathan Yergin (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 06:07PM

The foot of my guide is slightly wider then the OD of my blank, is it possible to thin the foot up and if so how do I go by doing it?

Jonathan Yergin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinning up guide feet
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 09:28PM

Jonathon:

The SEARCH link above is the best place to go with a question like that.

Be sure to search ALL DATES to get the best results.

Here"s a link from a search I just ran using the term: Shaping guide feet

If you need more answers enter the topic with different wording. . . such as "guide prep"

Most guide feet need to be prepped in some way even when they are not wider than the blank.

There are many ways to do the work and you'll find the one you prefer by trial and success.

I use a small flat file to shape the front slope as well as the sides.

I hold the guide on one corner of the flat top of a Grizzly Baby Anvil ($7.25) with the foot pointed out. This gives me good support and access to the work area.

It's easier to file one side with strokes going outward. With a little practice I can now file the other side with inward strokes just almost as adeptly. I hope I am making myself clear.

[www.grizzly.com]

For filing the bottom I hold the guide on top of a round file and slide it against the grain. A few light strokes is usually all it takes.

The properly shaped guide foot will permit thread to climb easily and have a slight concave shape on the bottom. The entire foot must be free from all burrs.

Many use power tools for the job. Dremel tools and small belt sanders are popular choices.

It's a very simple task once you get the hang of it no matter which method you choose.

As with almost every step of building rods there are numerous methods which will work well. Finding those which suit you best is part of the fun.

I wish you well in all your future rod crafting.

Dave

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2011 07:58AM

Jonathan,
Yes, folks do it all of the time.
If you do remove material from a guide foot, just do it in such a way that the main guide strength is not compromised.

I do all of my guide foot prep on a 1 inch wide belt sander with about a 150 grit sanding belt on the sander.

I adjust the sander so that the vertical belt is sitting sideways to me. Then , it is easy to thin the thickness of the guide foot as well as the width if necessary.
I basically thin the foot to a near razors edge on the end in a continouous taper to the elevated section of the gide foot. This makes for easy wrapping and does little to compromise the strength of the guide foot.

[www.harborfreight.com]

[www.tools-plus.com]

Roger

Posted by: John Straight (---.netsync.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 10:57AM

Johnathon,

I use a dremel tool. Prepared a stone wheel by cutting a "v" in it with the edge of a small file. Now I just mount the dremel in a vise insert prepared cutting wheel and shape top, bottom and sides of guides. Works well for me, quick and accurate. Full guide set takes 5 min. Sometimes I need to touch with small file or finger nail emery board.

Good Luck, John

JLS Custom Rods
Cassadaga, NY

Posted by: Tony Scott (12.130.117.---)
Date: March 14, 2011 04:21PM

Roger -

Can I ask for your guidance on using a belt sander? I just trashed a $15.00 fuji stripper because I cut off some of the length on each foot and made the rounded end in to a very unattractive "V".

I think my angle of attack is wrong.

HELP

Thanks,

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster