I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winter Flounder Blank Search
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 08:15PM

Seeking blank suggestions for a winter Flounder rod for Raritan Bay and Jamaica Bay in the NYC area.

Specs: 6'6" - 7' / 10 - 20 # line / lure wt. 1/2 - 1 1/2 oz / 1 or 2 pc / Mod - Fast Action

Bumper Spiral build with Micro Guides (the Fuji angled micros)

Matched with a Shimano Conquest 401 reel.

I'm not a fan of very fast action blanks for this application.

Would prefer not spending top dollar.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winter Flounder Blank Search
Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2011 08:52PM

sorry.. accidental double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 08:52PM by Gabe Nakash.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2011 08:52PM

I would try this Seeker Blank BS7O6-S
im not sure what you consider top dollar.
in my opinion this is very good for the aplication.

Date: February 12, 2011 09:04PM

Thanks Gabe.

That's a reasonably priced blank in the $80 range. I'll check it out at the Expo.
To me a top dollar blank for this application would run upwards of $125.
I don't do that much flounder fishing to justify the expense.

I'd appreciate hearing other suggestions as well.

Dave

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 11:14PM

From what I hear they are only going to allow 2 fish this year! Hardly makes it worth leaving the dock. I`m in no hurry to launch the boat this year.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: February 12, 2011 11:35PM

Thanks Fred;

I didn't know that. What a shame. I guess the flounder population must be in bad shape.

I guess I can forget that project and focus on building a fly rod for stripers in the surf. It's a good thing I enjoy lots of different types of fishing.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 01:33AM

Just use a Fluke BT rod. Or an invisible rod since hee hav ebeen so few Flounder the past couple of seasons. The Seeker 706, 705, 707 < all will work. soft tip and mod action.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 09:22AM

David -
ANY blank on an 843 or 844 mandrel (Batson, MHX, American Tackle) or the Seekers posted above

Posted by: HANK Turner (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 10:00AM

come to va. beach , you are allowed four fish if you can find them. get worse every year.

Date: February 13, 2011 10:38AM

Just looked up the 2010 regs and it was 2 fish @12inches.. best bet is to make a light fluke rod for bucktailing and double duty it.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: February 13, 2011 11:35AM

Md regulations have not yet been firmed up but they're talking about 3 fish either 18.5 or 19 inches as keepers. If people only keep 19 inch fish there will be lots dead on the bottom and few dockside. Last year I fished about 20 days in the mid Chesapeake Bay and only had 8 or so keepers at 18.5 inches = lots of throw backs and probably lots of dead smaller fish ' cause they tend to suck baits deeply. Makes more sense to me to drop the size and keep the limit to 3 with no culling.

Date: February 13, 2011 10:46PM

Ken, The fish we are referring to are different than the Summer Flounder you speak of. Here in NJ (come on you lived here right?) winter flounder are smaller,have no teeth and the mouth hinges the other way and is a lot smaller. The Fluke we refer to are the same as the Flounder you refer to. We are getting an increase this year of some type partly due to the registry and better science. I do agree the larger fish size produces a higher mortality rate for the smaller fish. A friend that scuba dives remarked after a dive on a Monday after beautiful weekend for fishing that the bottom of a popular reef was paved with short dead Fluke. Sad but true.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: February 13, 2011 11:33PM

Fred -
The DNR (De Not-so-smart Regulators) here apparently have decided to make no distinction - Left side / right side ... little teeth / nasty teeth. They've decided that they will up the take but keep the higher length limit. I haven't seen the NJ regulations on fluke yet. My cousins and I make a weekend out of fluke fishing around Sandy Hook over the 4-th of July so I'm interested in what NJ and NY come up with to meet ASMFC regulations.

Date: February 14, 2011 06:37AM

Our club just voted on 6 fish at 18 inches a season to run from I believe May 5th to Sept 30th. We are happy with the longer season as our area has a better bite late sept to oct.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Steve Kolb (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 09:53AM

Right on Freddy......option 8 all the way. None of the others make sense.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster