I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can i straighten a blank?
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 11, 2011 09:26AM

A rod i am rebuilding ,a Kistler, is a personal favorite of the owner. Its fiberglass tip and graphite butt section gives it an action he loves for crank baiting.
Unfortunately, the owners' storage and transport methods have given the blank a severe kink in the top 6 inches
I was wondering if splinting it to three pieces of straight wood or metal and then heating it to about boiling water temp would reduce or eliminate the kink or is it like that forever?
Anyone have success with straightening fiberglass tipped blanks?
As the kink is to the left i have also considered Heating the reel seat until the epoxy lets go,and turning that through 90 degrees so i am dealing with just a very tip up situation. But all the decal writing will then be out of line, not keen to get that off and replaced.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can i straighten a blank?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 10:03AM

Lou,
Anything is possible, but the simple answer is - NO - unless you are really fortunate.
One of the side issues of doing a heating process on any type resin after it has cured, is what happens to the resin and its strength. In essence, not good things.

So, if you are willing to jink the blank if it fails, you can certainly try. But I am guessing that you would likely have to get it hotter than what the 212 of boiling water would do for the blank. And I am also guessing that the difference between success and failure is a few degrees of temperature, and I have no idea what that temperature might be.

Good luck
Roger

P.S.
Several of the new MHX blanks have just such a blank composition for crank bait rods and make excellent rods for such an application. These blanks are very reasonably priced and might be an option.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 10:04AM

I wouldn't do it.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2011 10:25AM

If the warped portion is glass, then you have a shot. Simply place the rod in a position, either by leaning or loading, where the current warp is reversed to the other side and leave for some period of time, checking every few days to see if it has returned to straight. Some heat may accelerate the process, but I'd settle for putting the rod in the attic or someplace like that rather than attempting to heat the rod by artificial means.

The one problem with this, is that under use it may return to the previous set.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 11, 2011 10:36AM

I feared that was the case:I will turn the blank through 90 degrees.
hey unless you ask you never know if somebody has not worked out a way to do it!
Tom.: the warped portion is in the glass, i tried it for a week with duct tape holding it in the opposite direction, some old yellow pages as weight.. Did not work so that is why i thought heat may help. Just glad i showed him what he had done before he left the rod with me.
If i had not taken off the guides already i would be walking away from this.
People do strange things to their rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 10:44AM by Lou Auret.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 12:08PM

It may be a little work. How about repositioning the guides and reelseat. To me it is the next best thing. The reelseat well be the hardest

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 01:02PM

I had a similar problem with a Duckett “Micro Magic” rod that I won in a drawing. The rod had a very pronounced bend. I ended up completely stripping off all the components (including paint) and rebuilding (w/Fuji 3.5’s) and orienting the curve up (belly down). Although the bend is still there, it is far less noticeable. It turned out to be a very nice rod….and very light (2.35 oz).

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 08:09PM

That is probably the only thing you can do
Strip it down and put the bend up with the guides on the bottom ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 01:40AM

No matter where you place the guides you will have to reposition the reelseat

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster