I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Your favorite casting blank for light spinnerbaits?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2011 09:14PM

I am looking for a casting blank for spinner baits in the 1/4-3/8 range, 7 feet I believe (interested in longer casts than normal), to be built with micros. Tell me of your favorite. thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Your favorite casting blank for light spinnerbaits?
Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2011 10:29PM

Castaway MB843, split grip, Castaway skeleton reel seat, Fuji 4mm K series on top, 6mm tip.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 06:07AM

That's interesting. Rated for 5/8 lure Mod fast med power.

Would the sweet spot be the 3/8 oz ? just doing my own research.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 06:10AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: February 11, 2011 06:58AM

Im sure somebody will correct me if im wrong. I think that when they talk about a 1/4 ounce spinnerbait, that is the weight of the lead head. Fully dressed out with blades and skirt etc it probably weighs close to a 1/2 ounce or so. I have a 1/2 ounce spinner here i just weighed and it is right at 7/8 ounce. So a rod only rated for say 3/8 ounce wont have enough horsepower to throw a 3/8 spinnerbait. At least thats the way i understand it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 07:01AM by Phil Brenner.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 07:08AM

That's my thoughts also Phil I mean if a rod blank is made to throw - Weight - Then that should be matched and then maybe -- since most are underrated - a Tad more. ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 08:58AM

I like Mudholes MHX SJ843 for this exact use. Split grips with the above mentioned Castaway exposed blank reel seat, and you have a spinner bait throwing machine. If you are going to be throwing spinner baits that are larger than the MHX MB843 is the work horse you need.

Just my .02

Date: February 11, 2011 09:17AM

Thanks for the tips on spinnerbait weight. Had me fooled. I'll weight a couple. Loomis spinnerbait rods are described as having fast action, and the description they have mentions that the fast action keeps the spinnerbait from "parachuting." Fact or fiction, I don't know. What I do know is I have trouble with parachuting and don't know why. Intuitively, I would think the fast action better at twitching the spinnerbait through weeds. Thanks for the reccomendations, keep them coming.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 09:26AM

A spinner tait is a moving bait rod which is tied to a lure that has a single point hook.

Moderate action blanks used with moving baits using trebel hooks, crankbait, are reccommended.for baits that use trebel hooks to minimize "tearing a hole in the face of the fish".

Blanks are can be designed specifically for the intended use. The spinner bait is best matched with a fast action blank which allows a "closer to the tip" lock point for improved hook penetration with minimum "hook set".due to the single point hook.

It is just as tought to select the proper tools as it is to design it!

Castaway XP3 Spinner Bait Task Specific Bass Blanks

Castaway Blank 822 Details
6'10" Length Line # 8 - 14 Lure Oz. - 1/4 - 1/2
PWR - ML
Action - Fast

Castaway Blank 823 Details
6'10" Length Line # 12 - 25 Lure Oz. - 3/8 - 3/4
PWR M

Build with micro.

Come see the Swampland Boyz at the Show In High Point.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2011 05:49PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 11:00AM

Most of my fishing occurs in clear water with little or no cover, so I don't need a lot of backbone to move a fish out of cover. My two rods for 1/4 to 3/8 oz. spinnerbaits are a 3S66MF (built as casting), and a 3C68MXF. The taper on the 3S66MF allows for hard hooksets, but the blank will also pretty easily bend down into the mid-section on a bigger fish. That little bit of extra bend also helps with the vibration reduction--that constant thumping of the blade won't wear you out after a long day of SB fishing. Built spiral with micro guides, the 3S66MF will make you quite happy for open water spinnerbaiting.

The 3C68MXF also does a pretty good job as a spinnerbait rod, and it can handle a 1/2 oz. bait in a pinch. It wouldn't be my first choice as a spinnerbait rod--the XF action causes the SB vibration to wear you out after awhile--but the 3C68MXF is a perfect utility rod. If you needed the rod to fish SBs, then switch to topwaters, then large shaky-heads, med. sized tx.-rigged worms, etc., it does almost all that well.

If you need a 7 ft. rod, the 3S70MF (built as casting) would serve you quite well for the application.

Date: February 12, 2011 01:04PM

I've built the DS66MF as a spinning rod, so am familiar with it. I agree it is a very versatile blank and I'm sure it would have plenty of power for handling just about any fish. Interesting, Andrew, your comments on the constant thumping of a spinnerbait- I've always considered that positive to feel the blade. I use spinnerbaits for hours at a time in Canada on casting rods with braid, and have never felt it was fatiguing. Thanks for your comments.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster