I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide question for a t-rig rod
Posted by: Jason Brazzale (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 06:22PM

Good afternoon everyone,

First time, long time here...what a wonderful resource and group of people!

I do, however, seem confused with guide selection for an all-on-top casting build. Here are the specifics:

Blank: RX7 7' MHF
Reel: Chronarch 50 Mg
Line: 12-15 lb co-poly or fluoro, no knot or leader material to pass
Intended use: T-rig/soft plastics for bass around timber and weedlines
*I'm from WI so no 10# + fish to worry about horsing out of cover.

My question is this: will size 4 guides (single footed batson's if that is important) butt to tip perform well for this application? I have only three rod builds under my belt, so I have no preconceived notions and am not locked into a certain guide size/configuration--I am willing to listen and incorporate any solid advice from the experts on this site.

I have spent hours using the search tool, and read all about people discussing "small guides" are not the answer for every situation, but then can't locate a list of techniques that these guides would not be ideal for. Then I read about how you can successfully implement "smaller sized guides" start to finish with no considerable drop in performance. Help please?!?!?

Please let me know if I have omitted any important info; I thank you in advance for your replies.

Jason B.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide question for a t-rig rod
Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 07:04PM

Jason,

I have built several T rigs rods over the past year. I am no expert, but I fish Texas rigs on Lake Guntersville quite a lot.

I use size 3.5 Batsons all on top or size 6 DF, 5, 4, for the spiral and 3.0 running guides for the rest. I prefer the spiral for Texas rigs after fishing both layouts on identical blanks.

I used mostly 15 lb fluorocarbon, and have not had a problem with line going through the guides. My suggestion would be to tape up your blank both ways (spiral and on top) and see with you like.

My biggest bass on a rod with micro guides is 8 1/2 lb.

Regards
Bert Nagy

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2011 08:30PM

Jason;
The pat answer is yes, but if you want a little better performance (at-least IMO) I would do as Jason suggested. Starting with a 6-5-then 4's or smaller to the tip.

Unless you want to wait a little bit till when you will be able to get your hands on one of the new Batson BPLT05F tips [clients.criticalimpact.com]
I would suggest using a 6mm tip, and if you decide to do a spiral I would stay with the 6mm tip also.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 07, 2011 10:10PM

i have 2 of the mb843 rx7s i use for that exact purpose (12-14lb floro). I prefer a bumper spiral with fuji 4s (double 6, single 6 bumper, single 5 and then 4s to the tip). i typically like batson products, however the micro guides have been less than durable and i won't use them anymore. I would strongly suggest using fujis.

Regards,
-Justin

Date: February 07, 2011 10:53PM

Justin;
With all due respect I have had just the opposite results in reference to guide brands

Date: February 07, 2011 11:17PM

Thanks to all for the super-fast replies. I really appreciate all the help you folks are willing to provide...it lessens the learning curve quite a bit.

Jason B

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2011 08:41PM

I built a similar rod (all on top) and went with #7DF, #6DF and then #5'SF's to tip with a #5 ring tip top.
I wasn't quite sure I wanted to go #4's, I've only done a couple "micro" builds. but I will try them next.
Make sure you use a Forhan locking wrap when tying, for extra hold.

Date: February 08, 2011 10:51PM

Thanks again for all the replies. Steve, you suggested using a 6mm tip top. I ask because inquiring minds want to know...why is this? Just looking to soak up all the info I can.

Jason B

Date: February 09, 2011 07:42AM

Jason these should answer your question

[rodbuilding.org]

[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: February 09, 2011 01:07PM

You can use the 4mm micro guides as runners, highly recommended. I use 3.5, but 4 is so close there would probably not be a noticeable difference in performance.

For the tip, I would recommend at least a 4.5 mm ring for best performance... that's the smallest I've found that won't pinch 10 - 14lb. test line and impede line flow through the tip.

Date: February 09, 2011 07:17PM

Steve and Gary,

Thank much for the info on tip size. Very interesting reads Steve...being a science guy, I love the testing, analysis, and reformulating you did on tip size until finding a suitable outcome.

Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated:)

Jason B.

Date: February 09, 2011 08:53PM

Gary;
I too did not think there would or could be that much difference between half a millimeter.
But when set up right it is amazing how much difference there is between 4 and 3.5's then again when you step down to 3's or 2.5
here are examples of the difference between 3's and 3.5's based on some testing a few years ago

[rodbuilding.org]

[rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 10:26PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 10, 2011 02:30PM

Steve, I know you have done more testing with the micro guides than I have, thanks for posting that.

Steve, do you remember what diameter tip guide you used for the tip?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster