I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shipping to New Zealand
Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: February 04, 2011 05:17PM

Anyone ever ship rod/rods to New Zealand? I have a request from someone living in New Zealand for trolling rods. I checked with the post office and looks like a 5# PVC 4" in diameter and 60" long would run over $85. Any better ideas? Anybody have a container heading that way?LOL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shipping to New Zealand
Posted by: Matt Dotts (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 06:20PM

I have been regularly shipping rods to a customer in Moscow Russia. I use three inch "sewer and drain" pipe. It's a lighter grade PVC but still has a 3000 pound crush rating. I Use USPS Express Mail Service for the fastest times and best rates. It cost me from $60.00 to $85.00 to ship a tube to Moscow so your price estimate is about right.

Be sure to a plastic end cap secured with tape. Tape only. That way of customs (in either country) wants to inspect the content they don't have to cut the tube.

Date: February 04, 2011 06:39PM

Is there any issues with shipping and customs?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 07:03PM

Tony,
You should be able to find the New Zeland customs on the internet.
Be sure to check for customs charges. It is not uncommon for some countries to charge nearly as much for customs charges, as what the product is worth.

If you can't check, have your client in New Zeland check so that there is no misunderstanding on the overall cost.

It is not that uncommon - when shipping rods - that you could easily encounter $200 total charges between shipping and customes, and taxes.

Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 07:06PM

Here is the New Zeland Customs web site:

[www.customs.govt.nz]

Check it carefully, and be sure that you research and are absolutely sure on the total charges that your fishing rod and tube might encounter on their way to your client:

Roger

Date: February 04, 2011 07:59PM

Thanks for the information. This may not be worth the headache. Maybe three or four, mid range rods. Anyone build rods in New Zealand? I would be happy to give you the referral.

Posted by: Matt Dotts (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 08:02PM

The post office will have the customs form you need to complete. There is no fee to export an item. You do have to declare the value of the product and the person receiving the item will usually have to pay an importation tax on that value. This is not politically correct but US Customs could care less what you list as the value of the item as the US Government doesn't profit from it. Your customer can however face sanctions in his country if it is determined that there is an attempt to evade the tax. Most customs officials, regardless of the county, are smart enough to realize a custom made and personalized fishing rod from the United States is not going to cost $12.99.

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.ldcz2.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 04, 2011 09:13PM

I would stick with Fedex or UPS, they can ring the customer with the import fee plus their clearance,he hands over his credit card number and is done.Way too may potential complications with the post, tracking can be patchy unless you use EMS and he will have too arrange his own clearance.

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 10:55PM

I don't know about New Zealand rod builders but there are a zillion builders in Australia. One of them would probably appreciate the business. Shipping wouldn't be near as much for them. Trolling rods would be no problem at all because they build them all the time.

Date: February 05, 2011 08:55AM

I am open to any Australian or other builder that wants this business. Just get ahold of me and I will give your the contact information. This whole thing seems very cost prohibitive from the US, but I would still like to see this customer taken care of. Thanks for the info guys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster