I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji SiC > REC Recoil guide sizes
Posted by: Pedro Gomez (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 09:46AM

Hi, I have noticed that many rodbuilders recommend using a size or two larger ceramic guide compared to a wire one like Recoil. I too was under the impression that ceramic guides had a smaller ID than the wire guides so I took the liberty to measure the inside diameter of some of the Fuji and REC guides I had at hand and I was dumbfounded by the results. Apparently, Fuji SiC guides have a larger inside diameter than the REC guides of the same number rating. Results given as guide size # - in mm.

Fuji LSG Gunsmoke Frame/SiC Ring
#6 - 3.98
#7 - 4.77
#8 - 5.38

Fuji TLSG Titanium Frame/SiC Ring
#6 - 3.98
#7 - 4.75
#8 - 5.38

REC Recoil
#6 - 3.91
#7 - 4.68
#8 - 5.23

Has anyone ever done a test like this one in the past and did you arrived at the same conclusion.

I might be missing something so I would like to know if there's any particular reason why rod builders recommend increasing the ceramic guide by a size or two when using SiC vs Recoil, especially when we're building fly rod if in actuality the SiC guides have a larger ID than Recoil guides. The size difference is not a lot but still they are a bit larger. Anyone care to explain.

Thanks,

Pedro

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji SiC > REC Recoil guide sizes
Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: February 03, 2011 10:25AM

Unfortunately guide manufacturers don’t have a standardized way to classify their parts. For the most part they are kind of close, but the only way to know for sure is what you did, measure and inspect.

Microguides are even worse, one companies 4 may be smaller and lighter than the next companies 3. Once the parts start getting really small the differences are amplified as a percentage of the overall size of the part.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 03, 2011 12:01PM

The ID may vary even within the same company depending on ring material, etc.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.76.170.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 07:07PM

Pedro,
If you're building a fly rod check the sizes of the Recoil fly guides rather than the spinning guides.
Much larger ID much less weight.
The fly guides ID's
#1 4.8mm
#2 5.6mm
#3 6.1mm
#4 6.5mm
#5 7.2mm
#6 8.1mm
Both single foot and double foot (snakes) are approx the same ID.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Pedro Gomez (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 07:36PM

Eugene Moore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pedro,
> If you're building a fly rod check the sizes of
> the Recoil fly guides rather than the spinning
> guides.
> Much larger ID much less weight.
> The fly guides ID's
> #1 4.8mm
> #2 5.6mm
> #3 6.1mm
> #4 6.5mm
> #5 7.2mm
> #6 8.1mm
> Both single foot and double foot (snakes) are
> approx the same ID.
>
> Eugene Moore

Eugene,

The recoil guides I measured are advertised as universal and can be used for all types of fishing rods including spinning / casting / fly, model (RSPG) [www.mudhole.com].

If you're refering to the recoil guides model (RSF / RSFX) [www.mudhole.com] then you could very well be right. I do not have those at hand so it is nice of you to post their measurements.

Thanks,

Pedro

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 11:06AM

To understand what has happened with the whole ring size issue, you need to go back to the beginning. When FUJI first introduced ceramic ring guides in the mid 60’s they were measured to compare with existing stainless steel guides that had no ring at all. The ring ID of stainless was simply the size of the opening in the metal frame. Fuji adopted the method of using frame ID measurements for ring size and they have never changed from this original philosophy.

As various ring materials emerged, the diameter of the rings was altered to meet certain performance and strength standards. So, “fatter” rings like Aluminum Oxide actually end up with smaller inside ring diameters than, say, SiC of the SAME?RING?SIZE.

Most manufacturers use the same point of reference but frame weight and material and ring material can make a noticeable difference in total frame OD or ring ID. Non-ring guide measurement is at the discretion of the manufacturer.

Anglers Resource

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster