I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel mass weight and fly rod balance
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 31, 2011 09:45PM

I have been reading through some of old posts on rod balance and a question came to mind about the rod/reel relationship.

Does have any suggested fly reel weight (mass) for certain length fly rods?

For example, i have a 6 weight fly rod and a 5/6 reel. Although the combination is theoretically "matched", because the reel is relatively lightweight the rod feels tip heavy and it isn't the most pleasant outfit to use for things such as high stick nymphing.

So back to my original question. When trying to match a rod/reel, are there any general guidelines for the rod length/reel mass weight ratios?

thanks,
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel mass weight and fly rod balance
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2011 09:56PM

Use a larger diameter reel. That gains you a better retrieve ratio (arbor size has nothing to do with retrieve ratio - we don't go fishing with empty reels) and weight that helps balance the rod, if that's important to you.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 10:34PM

AMEN TOM! I have been trying to tell that to the sales reps for 15 years!

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 07:58AM

Tom L,
Personally I think the idea of balancing a reel/rod during casting is overdone. I cast my fly rods w/o grips (so w/o reel attached) before I build and some blanks cast better with no weight attached to the bottom of the blank. I understand the concept of the wt of the reel offsetting the swing wt of the rod but I don't think it is all that important except on the heavier rods - # 10 and above. Where it is important - to me - is when I am stripping back line. I like a neutral balance where I don't have to apply thumb pressue to keep the rod tip down - or index-finger pressure to keep it up during the retrieve. So if I try to balance at all, I do it with reel attached and all line I usually use out side the tip-top.
Herb

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 01:36PM

I agree with Tom and Herb. The first step is to find what is most comfortable for you when fishing for some time. Proper balance becomes more critical with heavier gear. Note Tom suggested opting for a larger size DIAMETER and not simply a larger ARBOR. The goal here is to add weight by adding line. Sometimes a narrow arbor reel will hold the right amount of line to add the desired weight.

There are other low tech methods for adding weight such as spooling a length of lead core line under the fly line. Some just wrap it around the reel foot.

Once you decide how you like the rig to balance there are lots of ways to make it happen.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: February 01, 2011 03:52PM

You really cannot go off the "reel size" I have some reels (Hardy) that are very heavy for their size and others (Lamson) that are very lite for their size. If somebody has the exact reel you are in the game. You also need to know what type of fishing they are going to do most as that will help determine where the tip will be. Highstick nymphing and swiing will want (in most cases) for the tip to ride a little higher. As David said you can always put lead wire or the like around the reel arbor prior to the backing to "balance" things out if need be.

Best of luck.

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 01, 2011 09:23PM

Thank you for all the input. The suggestions on how to balance the rod are also very helpful as i don't have a wide variety of reels to choose from at the moment and am planning on building a new rod for spring trout fishing.

best,
Tom.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: February 02, 2011 11:50AM

With the longer trout rods, 9' and longer, and highly machined light reels, they just don't balance. The only time it bothers me is when I am hiking to the river. I don't want to add weight to try to balance the combo, but maybe a downlocking reelseat would help?

Posted by: Kurt Mogensen (---.13.89.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 02, 2011 04:47PM

Greg Foy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> maybe a downlocking reelseat would help?

I was wondering the same thing. I have two 10' blanks (4 and 5 wt) I am ready to start working on. I have uplocking reel seats for them but now wonder if I shouldn't get downlocking. Anyone have preference one over the other?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster