I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

float rod finish
Posted by: john backos (170.28.136.---)
Date: January 31, 2011 01:52PM

All,

I am currently wrapping a rod based on a 13' 10/11 wt spey blank. I will be using it as a UK style float/match rod. I have installed a vetre matrix handle (10" rear carbon grip) with a cork fighting butt and rubber end cap. The guides are Hopkins & Holloway Seymo RDX match guides from www.guidesnblanks.com. My question is as follows: What would most of you finish theis rod with, urethane (permagloss) or epoxy (flex-coat). The rod is already s bit tip heavy (13'-5") so I will be adding a bit of weigh in the butt tube after it is all done, so I don't want to add more weigh to the tip. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: float rod finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2011 02:27PM

The amount of weight difference you're talking about would be extremely slight. It's not going to make much difference, but if you want the lightest possible finish, use 2-3 coats of Permagloss or apply the epoxy very thinly.

Date: January 31, 2011 03:08PM

Thanks, Tom.

That's what I was considering. The rod is wrapped with "A" thread with no underwrap and no overlapping threads at the guide wraps so I don't need anything thicker once the threads are all sealed and smooth.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 09:28PM

No mater what finish you use it is hard to lighten up a 13' rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: January 31, 2011 10:33PM

John..

I have to ask why did you use these guides? And did you use double footed or single? Just curious, thanks.

Paul

Posted by: Tim Rumlow (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 31, 2011 10:54PM

personally I like threadmaster lite. 10/11 wt spey is a beast of a float rod. Is he carp float fishing with it?

Date: February 01, 2011 07:19AM

I will be using it primarily for panfish, but there are carp to 30lbs, bass, and channel cats in the water I am fishing, so I wanted something with a light enough tip to cast a waggler with 1/4 oz but also have enough backbone if something sizeable were to hit. I guess that's why they call it custom.

I used the guides because all my other spinning rods have the traditional larger guides and I was curious to see how a small ring, high standoff guide would perform. The stripper guide ring is a 10, and yes they have two feet, but the feet are short and the frame is flexible. After I received the guides, Mudhole added Pac Bay match guides to their stock. The RDX guides come in single foot and double foot, but I ordered the set which came only in double foot for my first such build.

Also, so far the rod is lighter than an 8'-6" Graphite Daiwa Steelhead rod (store bought) that I have although it is a bit tip heavy. I want the rod to be butt heavy so after all the guides and finishing is complete, I will be tuning the weight balance by adding weight inside the tube of the handle.

Thanks for the responses.

Posted by: Tim Rumlow (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 01, 2011 09:32AM

Well good luck. That is an extremely powerful rod for the intended use but if it fits what you are looking for then go with it....

Date: February 01, 2011 10:09AM

I know it sounds like the rod is super stiff, but when I static tested it it flexes into the butt wrap. I guess the proof will be in the fish fighting.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: February 01, 2011 03:38PM

What reel are you putting on it?

Date: February 01, 2011 11:06PM

For the most part, I only build float rods. Personally if you want a lighter rod that feels more like the naked blank, I would not use traditional float road guides aka high frames. Why some float rod builders and manufaturers are still using these guides is beyond me. The guide is substantially heavier than low profile, single foot, fly rod guides.

The difference is amazing...

Just my .02

Date: February 02, 2011 08:58AM

Paul is dead on here. I have been using flexlites (not a fly guide but close in wieght) on all my float rods, you cannot get much lighter and they work just great. I run moster drifts and have not seen a difference with flexlites and ceramic ring guides when it comes to friction. The difference is in the action! much faster and true with the flexlites due to wieght.

That being said for steelhead I do not even use a rod as heavy as you are for much lighter fishing.

Date: February 03, 2011 07:25AM

A 2500 size reel.

Date: February 03, 2011 07:30AM

Too late to change guides now, the wrapping is done. Anyway, not to dispute the facts, but how much weight reduction are we talking about and if it is a few grams, how noticeable is it? I am fairly accustomed to handling heavier rods for a fair period of time and though you are probably right on the facts, I don't if I am convinced that it would make much of anoticeable difference.

Also the rod is not being modeled after a steelhead float rod, but a UK style match rod where the rod needs flexibility to cast light weight but has enough beef for the occasional carp.

By the way, are permagloss and spar urethane interchangeable and if not what is the difference.

Thanks

Date: February 03, 2011 12:20PM

john backos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Also the rod is not being modeled after a
> steelhead float rod, but a UK style match rod
> where the rod needs flexibility to cast light
> weight but has enough beef for the occasional
> carp.

Not sure how much "flexiblity" you are going to get out of a 10/11 spey rod. They blanks I use for my steelhead rods will toss 5gm floats all day witout issue. I have been known to drop to a 3.5 on low clear winter days. Just wanted make sure you knew what you were getting thats all. Let us know how it works.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: February 03, 2011 01:14PM

You probably see a difference in a rod that heavy.
You would do well to add some lead in the butt or you could end up with some serious wrist and elbow issues with prolonged use.
I have a 15' 9/10 wt spey I'm building as a float rod for baby tarpon to 30 or 40 pounds. :)

I have put king salmon to 45# & carp to 55#'s on the bank with my old 16' custom Fenwick float rod loaded with 4# test back in the 80's
IMHO unless you are dealing with some very snaggy H2O the 10/11 wt could be a little heavy for fishing day in and day out, but you won't know until you fish it. :)

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Date: February 04, 2011 05:06PM

JOHN:

The difference is night and day, and black and white! I have built many float rods, and the guides you used are about 2/3 heavier. That, compounded with twice the thread and twice the thread finish equates to night and day.

I have several 10/11 spey blanks I use for Chinook Salmon, all of which have single foot FLexlite guides or low profile fly guides.

Don't subject yourself to more wight in the rod than what is necessary. And, adding more weight tot he butt of the rod cause the fronts too heavy is going backwards in methodology and practicality with todays components.

Hope this helps.
Paul

Date: February 08, 2011 02:03PM

Dave Orr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You probably see a difference in a rod that
> heavy.
> You would do well to add some lead in the butt or
> you could end up with some serious wrist and elbow
> issues with prolonged use.
> I have a 15' 9/10 wt spey I'm building as a float
> rod for baby tarpon to 30 or 40 pounds. :)
>
> I have put king salmon to 45# & carp to 55#'s on
> the bank with my old 16' custom Fenwick float rod
> loaded with 4# test back in the 80's
> IMHO unless you are dealing with some very snaggy
> H2O the 10/11 wt could be a little heavy for
> fishing day in and day out, but you won't know
> until you fish it. :)

From June to September, my local waters get weed choked to the degree that you need to drop the float into small pockets and along weed edges to have any chance of catching anything. Some of the pockets are as small as 5' dia and as far away as 40 yards. While my 8'-6" steelhead rod was adequate in reaching the pockets and playing fish in the open, I found the amount of line that needed to be mended on the strike was too much for the rod length causing too many missed strikes. Conversely, my 6' spinner with 6lb mono was OK for fighting fish, but casting a float rig and mending line on the hookset were a nightmare.

Also, the weeds became an issue when I had hooked into a channel cat of unknown size which after a 15 min fight, became tangled in weeds and broke off 4lb spidewire near the bank. So, I wanted the combination of the added rod length for line mending, plus the insurance of blank flexibility and length for handling fish in close that led me to this style of rod.

I could have easily bought a match rod from the UK for 1/3 the cost to build, but then what's the fun in that? So, when the rod is fished, we will see how the experiment pans out. I may even try it out in the salt.

Thanks to all for the lively discussion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster