I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

handle lengths for bass rods
Posted by: Mark Clooten (---.web-proxy.us)
Date: January 27, 2011 08:55PM

On any bass rod is there a certain length or formula that you go by to get the right handle length? Is this going to be technique spefic for the rod type or do you do something for the length of the customers arm?? Not sure if there is a right length or if it is up to the customer. thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: handle lengths for bass rods
Posted by: Jim Fielding (74.123.20.---)
Date: January 27, 2011 09:53PM

Most bass guys are fairly particular on handle / seat set up. Get that input and make suggestions to improve ergonomics (that fit the clients particular needs / wants).

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2011 07:15AM

It can vary and can be dependant on techniques. I know many like them a bit shorter so the butt end does not get hung up in clothes or their coats. Most getting a rod will have some idea how long of a handle they would prefere.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2011 08:49AM

they can be both very technique and customer specific;

As for techniques some, like working jerk baits or on close quarters techniques function better with shorter handles. longer rods or rods used for making longer casts are better suited to using longer two handle type grips.

As for clients many prefer different lengths depending on the body dimensions and preferred casting styles.
example; I prefer flipping/pitching sticks to be 1-5/8" shorter then the distance to my elbow. A client may prefer the same thing, but his forearm may be 2 or 3 inches longer or shorter then mine. Or his preference for the same technique may be to have the handle come to his elbow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 08:50AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 28, 2011 11:26AM

Steve Gardner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I prefer flipping/pitching sticks to be
> 1-5/8" shorter then the distance to my elbow.

- Bingo. That's the way I make all my rods, just short of the elbow so the end does not catch on your clothing.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2011 11:50AM

You can also take a blank and false cast as if fishing , move your hand so it is comfortable to you - your customer can do the same - then measure from the back of your hand to the butt of the blank.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2011 11:58AM

Fisherman / technique dependent. Good 'starting point' seems to be (as above) 'just inside the elbow 1-2 inches

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 28, 2011 07:26PM

Ken - Are you agreeing on a flip stick or saying that for all bass rods? I'm confused on what you meant.

A decent starting point is:

6' - 4 - 5"
6'6" - 8 - 9"
7' - 10"
7'6" - 11"
7'11" - 12"

Technique often drives length of build - including handle and working length.

Most swimbait and crankbait rods are going to have longer handles to help do the work - both casting and retriving. If the guy complains about the handle going in their coat pocket - I'd challenge it's not LONG ENOUGH - for these two techniques. If the handle is long enough, it will fall in a natural position for the tool to be very effective, make working the bait easier, and also not cause problems.

Other techniques - example walking/rip/jerk baits - opt for a short handle. Forget balance - you want these tip down anyway. You also want that handle out of the way of your body.

Keep in mind that handle length impacts the working length of the rod also... working length being the part in front of the reel. You might be set on a 6'9" rod... shorten the handle and now you just increased your working length and your bait will respond differently if you try to work it the same as that same rod with a 2" longer handle.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2011 07:40PM

Flippin' stick.....

I've built others with rear (pistol) grips as short as 4" .... much depends on the fisherman and what (s)he is trying to accomplish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 07:44PM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 28, 2011 10:06PM

Agreed. Figured you meant that but wasn't sure.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 02:15AM

One thing I didn't notice mentioned is balance. Granted it helps to know what reel you may be building for (most spinners are very similar) as well but my intention with ever rod I build is to maintain a reasonable balance or fulcrum point. Even heavier rods can be very sensitive if balanced correctly.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2011 09:09AM

Thanks Alex for trying to aim the topic in a specific task specific direction. Conversations on Internet Forums tend to "scatter gun" these issues.:

The main point : No right for all rods nor any rules.

Determined by angler skill level and technique...

Thanks to Rich Forhan I have the priviledge of refurbishing and building rods for a top Elite bass angler.

This set of rod contributed to winning over $1,000,000 on the Elite circuit.

Flip Stick - Top Elite Angler - Huge Beast of a Rod - Eight Feet - Rear Grip Length 9.0 inches - felt qute tip quite heavy in hand. Moderate action IM6 material for specific reasons.

I made the mistake in "commenting" on the length of the rear grip - and the apparent "in hand" tip weight - asking him if he wanted me to balance his rods!

His comment "I fish for a living and the reason is money! Only when fish are safely in the boat can I relax - leave the rods exactly as is - they were built that way for specific reasons and they are correct - make no changes."

The reason the rod is built that way has to do with fish control during the period of time that the big ones escape - close to boat, head shaking and darting this way and that - he puts the tip of the rod on the fishy's nose and does not want the rear grip length hanging up on this rainwear, coats or body or the line ""twinging" on the blank during crossovers..

If I told you the rod was also spiral wrapped do you know who I am talking about?

I am in no position to tell him how to balance a rod - he simply does not care!

The only time he is concerned with "sensitivity" of his flip stiks is when the big one that could have made his payday bigger swims away."

By the way Alex, his new Glass seven foot cranks have 8.5"(7' 8' have 10.5) splits with the hand fill rear piece - you have the drawings.!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2011 09:11AM by Bill Stevens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster