I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Calculating expense.
Posted by: Walker_Nelson (69.198.19.---)
Date: January 27, 2011 03:29PM

This is my first year as a business owner and had a quick question.

When factoring expense cost on the rod...How (if any) are you formulating rod finish and thread?
Is that something you worry about adding into the build cost?
Just curious about this.

Thanks guys!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calculating expense.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 27, 2011 03:40PM

I would suggest tacking on some small, consistent fee to each rod built, say $10, for shop supplies.

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.agr.gc.ca)
Date: January 27, 2011 03:44PM

search on "additional cost" in the search feature and specify all dates.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Walker_Nelson (69.198.19.---)
Date: January 27, 2011 03:45PM

Thats kind of what I thinking..Just a little something to cover all the small things that get diminished slowly each build.... That sounds good,thanks Tom

Cool Chris,Ill look that up now...Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 03:45PM by Walker_Nelson.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2011 04:04PM

It is kind of simple
Parts
Ant thing you buy from the supplier: blank guides cork rings seats plus shipping
Labor
How much do you want to glue rings together -shape , ream glue on the blank- Wrapping a guide foot One color with a trim more colors ??
Decals
You make them yourself or buy
But wrap or weave Time $$
If you will back up your work - that is worth some thing

Add it all together - but think of it - don't for get any thing

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 27, 2011 04:31PM

My pricing is simple ... retail of components + basic assembly labor + extra bling work + shipping to customer + FET + sales tax.

My thought process is that buying at wholesale and selling at retail allows me to "absorb" basic shop supplies AND it keeps my prices fair - SCVs are more profitable than SCIIIs, as they should be for the capital risk involved.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2011 07:37PM

Not that it matters to me but you add the FET after the shipping?

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sub-174-253-112.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2011 08:01PM

Guys he didnt ask about how you price the components or how much you charge for labor. He asked how you charge for consumable items like thread, tape, epoxy, paper towels etc. I do like Tom says. I tack on $10 as a consumables charge to every rod.

Lane

Date: January 27, 2011 09:58PM

Fred Yarmolowicz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not that it matters to me but you add the FET
> after the shipping?

FET is on the bottom of the invoice, along with sales tax. However, both are calculated on the sale price (no shipping) and independently of each other (not compounded).

In respect to a clarification of my "consumables fee" ... I don't have one. I simply have enough in the basic pricing equation to consume the consumable expense (pun intended).

Jim -

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: January 28, 2011 10:27AM

I break it all out in an estimate and charge a flat 3% for "shop fees" to cover mixing cups, sticks, sand paper, and so on. I also charge $3.00 per for thread cost. It is simple to "overlook" $10.00 per rod in small things and over the year it adds up. This is just me but I like to see every expence broken out, think the buyer does too as it helps explain the cost. As a buy myself I like to see itemized things over the "total" cost of something.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2011 11:56AM

I use the KISS method. Price of retail parts plus 60% for assembly (covers threads, epoxy, mixing cups, brushes, cp, etc) plus postage.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 28, 2011 01:18PM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My pricing is simple ... retail of components +
> basic assembly labor + extra bling work + shipping
> to customer + FET + sales tax.
>
> My thought process is that buying at wholesale and
> selling at retail allows me to "absorb" basic shop
> supplies AND it keeps my prices fair - SCVs are
> more profitable than SCIIIs, as they should be for
> the capital risk involved.

Mine is very similar. Just work it into your labor fee. I break it out on my spreadsheet just because I always have.

Question: Do most of you include the shipping into your parts cost? I looked at several years worth of invoices and found that my average shipping cost per order was 9% of the parts cost. I try to order 6 or 8 blanks at a time.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2011 03:12PM

I tried to figure in the cost of shipping - but changes in shipping fees have made that more problematic - and as I understand it all the shippers are about to raise costs again (and add more "balloon" fees).

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 28, 2011 07:32PM

Shipping is an add on. They have the option of picking it up - even if they live 5 states away.

Oh yeah... when you charge for shipping - don't forget to include the price of the tube or you are out $3 - $4.

-----------------
AD

Date: January 28, 2011 09:47PM

I do believe Chuck is asking about inbound shipping costs. Again, my practice has been to charge retail on components. This allows for inbound freight, supplies, business licenses, shop space, etc. IMO, the profit on the components covers operational expense and the build fee covers time.

Jim -

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 12:53PM

Walter, as you can see, there is a lot of ways to take the costs into consideration. The cost of thread, finish and labor are part of the total cost for sure. A lot of builders have a set fee per build, per guide, all good ways to figure it. I have a spreadsheet that I have sent to a lot of builders. It helps a person determine some costs, with markup, and pricing taken into consideration.
If you are interested, feel free to email me, and I will be glad to forward you a copy.

Kyle Robinson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster