I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
How many builders do this?
Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 07:52AM

Just wondering how many builders that sell custom rods, build for customers that furnish their own blanks and components.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many builders do this?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2011 07:55AM

I only did it once or twice, and made sure that they understood that if they provided the parts, they also provided the warranty. You don't bring your own food to a restaurant and ask them to cook it, and then complain if the taste is not to your liking.

Date: January 25, 2011 08:18AM

Ive just been getting more and more calls in the last 2 years from guys that have bought there parts from catalog stores, After talking to them, their intentions were not to ever learn to build the rod, but actually to save money in the end by finding someone to build their stuff. I dont mind showing anyone anything I know about building their own rod, and will give them any information they need to get them to the right source.
I have built a few in the past that brought me their parts after the have gave up on doing it themselves, but they did try and really want to learn, they just ran out of time before there season started. I just want to see if my thinking is in line with what other builders are.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 08:23AM

I've never done it but I've read about this many times on another message board dealing with fiberglass rods. I guess because of the limited supply of glass blanks from some of the small manufacturers, guys are buying blanks when they become available. But I'm with Tom, no warranty.

Lane

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2011 08:28AM

I can’t quantify or guarantee the quality of what they have purchased in a kit. So I can not guarantee the quality of the end product.
And have no desire to lower the quality of my work with inferior parts to save them a few bucks.

They can go elsewhere

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 08:31AM

I have done several for a guy who lives north of me.

If they break we will talk. Did not like the guides and amount of them but he likes the rods

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 25, 2011 09:00AM

I won't do it UNLESS there is an exceptional reason such as an exotic blank which is discontinued ... Harrington, Harnell, etc.

The problem is two-fold - 1) Warranty, quality control and component sizing; 2) Reduction in profitability on the components.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 25, 2011 09:02AM

I think you will see more of this as retail outlets begin to increase efforts using things like more ads in fishing publications, commercials during fishing shows, obtaining customer lists, etc. It's absolutely great targeted marketing and it's doing it's job very well.

Personally I don't do it. Too many problems with sizing, not having everything you need, etc. I usually give them Mike Thompson's number.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2011 09:22AM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 09:04AM

Reduction in profitibility - there is an easy way to fix that you know - figure out what your end cost would normally be, say $350. Subtract out YOUR COST, say $100. Charge $250 in labor to build the rod with his components. I don't really care and know I'll lose asale, but if somoene is looking to save a few dollars at my expense they can go to @#$%&.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 25, 2011 09:53AM

One way to justify doing a job like this is to consider it relationship building with a potential customer. It is pretty good advertising to get him fishing with a rod that showcases your work. I have done quite a few total strip down and rebuilds for people I fish with, they are not very profitable because of the amount of work required in the strip down process. The upside is that a potential customer gets to see how much difference a really high performance build can make on a blank that they already owned and are used to how it felt before I worked on it, every person I have done this for has bought a new rod from me at a later date.

I do agree with everything that has been said about the downside of not having control of some of the quality and pricing issues. Whether you want to do it, and consider it marketing is up to you and how likely you feel it will pay of later with this customer.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 09:54AM

I've done this several times. Once it was a disaster due to a blem blank that later "gave it up" on a fishing trip. I've also done "final assembly" for people to started with good intentions to build a rod and later ran out of time / ran out of patience or just decided it wasn't their "thing" When I do this - like others above - I stress that I can not guarantee the integrity of the components.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: January 25, 2011 10:26AM

I have done so for spey rods where the blanks are made by a shop and there is not mass distrobution. There are exceptions for every rule.

Date: January 25, 2011 11:59AM

Thanks Alex, that explains the increase in calls! Im gonna give em Billy's number!

Your right Alex, the marketing is working very well for these companies, I believe I will force them to learn to build their own, or find another builder, Hey I have Steve Gardner's number to give them too. I just declined a build after talking to the guy. He told me where he bought his products and thought it was a good way to save money. Its not that the blank and components were inferior, heck hes buying from a company I have used before. Funny thing is I have sold him rods before, every year in the spring he has bought a rod for the past few years. I don't really believe in " if you have to ask how much it is you cant afford it". But don't like it when people confuse my kindness for a weakness.

Posted by: lee smith (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 12:25PM

I built one once for a friend, he had the blank and reel seat, wanted micros and a split grip. The rod broke on his third trip out, close to the tip so I'm sure it was used as a punching stick to get a jig or something loose from wood or rock.

He called me up and was raising 10 kinds of cane. I told him, HE bought the rod, NOT me and I would 100% back up the guides, checks, thread, real seat and grips that I purchased and installed, I'd even back up the ink I used to write on it!

Needless to say, he started screaming, I hung up, No worries!

Never again!

Lee

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 25, 2011 01:30PM

I have taken blanks in a couple time, actually I am getting a blank this week. But on all occasions it has been on blanks that has been hard to find. I adjust my charges accordingly and give the usual disclaimer about broken blanks...

Date: January 25, 2011 02:21PM

Lee

I am like you. guarantees cost money. If you don't pay, no guarantee Dooooo
Broken rods are usually - user error - !!

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.co.shawnee.ks.us)
Date: January 25, 2011 02:27PM

How would this be too much different than doing a total rebuild on a factory rod? Most of the time on a rebuild all you are doing is adding a new handle or a guide or two. Sometimes it is just replacing guides. As long as you are not having to warranty the parts they give you I don't see how you could go wrong. It seems to me to be part of custom building. If the job is not to your liking because of the quality of material you are using, send em packing or teach them why they made a poor choice in parts, most times I'm bettin they would upgrade anyway after you taught them. Again, with no warranty, how could you lose. I would much rather make my money on this kind of a build than try to have huge margins on my parts and little labor shown. In my opinion, Labor is where the future of custom building is. The market is so competitive on parts that virtually anyone can get parts at or near wholesale costs. I recently discovered this in my quest for good pricing on parts and blanks. Send em my way, I'll take em all!! No warranty, very little inventory on my part and good money for my time plus I'm bettin sooner or later they'll be back lookin for somthin better. Sportsmen, I have found are always looking to upgrade their toys. Just my thoughts.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2011 02:57PM

Be aware that if you build on their parts, to their specs, even if the rod does not perform up to their expectations, they remain free to inform anyone they choose that you built the rod and often will leave out the part about how they supplied the parts and specs. In other words, a rod built on somebody else's parts and to somebody else's specs, can and may reflect on your reputation as a custom builder. Just something to keep in mind.

Date: January 25, 2011 03:03PM

Very good point !!

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2011 03:04PM

Mr. Thompson;
The reason for your increased requests has nothing to do with effective marketing.

It is because I too have your number. And if you offer them my number.
They will most likely tell you “I have it already”.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster