I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripper guide selection
Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 23, 2011 09:38PM

I mainly build spinning rods for trout and redfish in the La area. I would like to put together a conventional baitcasting rod for myself just to force myself how to throw one. What are the reasons for choosing a size 12 or 16 for my stripper. Does reel height have something to do with it, I figured all baitcasters are similar. I figure I would go with 12 or 16 stripper 10, 8, 7, then size 6 fly guides up to the tip. Does this sound about right to you guys? Would it be a good idea to use size 5's to the tip instead to reduce weight. The blank is a SCV 6'6 med fast from St. Croix. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripper guide selection
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 23, 2011 09:56PM

IMO - There is no reason to use anything larger than 6s. I have quite a few baitcasters on the gulf - including ones fishing the IFA LA and GCAA LA Series. Not a single one of these rods has a guide larger than a 6. Most are equipped with 4s.

If you don't like the line angle coming out of the reel to the first guide, try moving the first guide towards the tip. Static space it as you would any other guide. This will reduce the angle and will not detract from the build in any way.

If you are using a large spool, big bodied baitcaster, I can see wanting a higher guide. On a 6'6" SCV rod, I hope you are going light weight and choosing one of the Abu Revos or equivalent saltwater low profile baitcasters. You'll be glad you did.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2011 09:58PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 23, 2011 10:19PM

Thank you alex, I will be using a smaller curado from shimano. So just to be clear are you saying that I should use size six guides from the reel all the way to the tip. I fish both the IFA and GCAA as well.

Date: January 23, 2011 11:03PM

Personally I would go 5 or 6 and then 4s. But if you don't want 4s, go 5s or 6s. I'd suggest single foot also.

All personally use are Curados and have no trouble with this set up,

I'll drop you an email - one of my pro staff should be over there in a couple weekends - I can tell him to make sure to bring baitcasters for you to look at.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 23, 2011 11:36PM

you don't need that many guide sizes...I've got casting rods with all 3s on top

LEGENDARY CREATIONS CUSTOM RODS
Maplewood, MN

Date: January 24, 2011 12:20AM

Cheng - I agree. My personal rods are usually one size unless flipping or pitching possibilities exist - rods built for public review are typically a little different to aid in ease of sales.

I find a 6 stripper/butt doesn't take buyers as far out of their comfort zone when looking at micros.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2011 02:43AM

Hey Kevin,

Both Alex and Cheng are riight on the money. The only reason for larger running guides is for leaders or larger knots, otherwise they are both dead on.

Tight lines,

John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2011 10:05AM

I generally use a 2 footed guide for my first two guides. The primary reason for using the two footed taller first two guides is simply toughness. The taller guides are more easily bent and if you happen to have rod lockers, tend to catch more easily on the sides of the lockers. A one footed guide will handle the load, fine, I just prefer the two footed guides for durability.

I also like to use a stripper guide of a size, so that as the line moves from side to side during retreive, the size of the guide allows the line to move freely back and forth without actually hitting any side or just barely touchin one of the sides of the first guide. This is the reason that I also choose to use the taller first guide. i.e. to get a nice smooth line flow off of the reel, with no sharp angle to the first guide that slows line travel or increases resistance duing retreive.

The other comments about guide size are right on.

Roger

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 24, 2011 11:23AM

Roger - your point is kind of lost on me... Why even use a stripper if you are using one so large it doesn't touch? If the line slides back and forth without touching that big stripper, you're just moving the touch up to the next guide? Seems to me you're loosing an awful lot of line control. I'd hate to think about where all the line is going on the cast.

With low profile baitcasters - the line is already coming out at a very low angle compared to the rod. Reference this photo using a SF6 stripper.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Consider a small stripper further out. There really is very little movement on a low profile baitcaster and the distance reduces the amount of angle to the line movement. The line is already moving at a downward angle anyway as it comes of the spool.

Come on down and catch some reds... I bet you won't notice any line rubbing on any of the guides once your first Bull grabs your bait.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2011 11:34AM

Alex,
Point well said,
I have simply found that I have had issues with a bit of casting distance, if I have the first guide either too low, or too small. Make either one incorrect and have a bit of casting restriction.
I think that there is plenty of line control with the guides further up the rod.

I would love to come down and catch some big reds. I agree, when the fight is on - one doesn't worry about anything except boating the fish.

Roger

Posted by: Adam Curtis (74.7.62.---)
Date: January 24, 2011 01:03PM

What if your using connection knots like braided to flouro?

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 24, 2011 02:35PM

I've had no complaints with leader knots and 4s. Well, except with sloppy knots!

-----------------
AD

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 24, 2011 03:30PM

The rod I had at the ICRBE casting contest last had all #4 guides including the stripper. Didn’t seem to hurt the casting distance at all……..

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 26, 2011 11:31AM

I know that this post is concerning a bait casting setup, but the reference to line not touching the "stripper" guide has me curious. If the line touching the stripper guide degrades casting, how can a spincast setup function at all?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster