I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Birch Bark
Posted by: Martin Honore (94.145.228.---)
Date: January 23, 2011 10:07AM

Hello

I have a large piece of Birch wood that I would like to take the bark of to use in a flyrod handel.
But should I dry the log before I try to harvest the bark?

Best regards
Martin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Birch Bark
Posted by: Craig Johnson1 (---.crf.up.net)
Date: January 23, 2011 11:02AM

Martin,

I have read in some natural history book on the local Ojibwa here that they would peel their birch bark from live trees for canoes. Also an old pulp cutter told me that they would peel their logs with an axe before the wood got too dry. Bark peeled off of green wood can be dried flat with some weight. If you take the bark off seasoned wood the bark fibers will tend to make the bark curl and more difficult to cut rings. Then you would have to steam the bark to lay flat. I have never built a birch bark handle. Seems like an excellent idea.

Good Luck

Craig

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 23, 2011 02:10PM

The earlier you can get it off the log the better. It is then more flexible then it will be later, which makes it easier to flaten out for cutting the rings.

Posted by: Martin Honore (94.145.228.---)
Date: January 23, 2011 02:54PM

Thanks, I will strip the log as soon as posible.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: January 23, 2011 03:00PM

I don't know much abour Birch bark, but this is what I do know. Most definately get it off the log as soon as possible. Bark is most easily harvested in the spring. I think it has to do with the time of year that they harvest the sap to make birch syrup. And for whatever reason birch bark seems to come off easier on humid days or that is when I have had the most luck. The type of birch tree that your taking it off of matters. The whitest of the birch trees see to come off easiest. I have tried Silver & Gray and it becomes frustrating. I always have a utility knife, and a few cheap spatula's when I try to harvest some birch. Slice it with the knife, then us the spatula to seperate the bark from the tree. This is going to trash the spatula so don't take mama's best spatula. Stop and buy a few on your way to the tree.

Have fun and keep us posted what you make with the bark.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 23, 2011 03:33PM

Having peeled Cascara many many years ago when I was a kid, I learned you need to peel the bark off during the growing season when the sap is moving up the Cambium layer (that area between the wood and the bark). This allows you, once you get an edge of bark, to almost slide your hand under the edge to peel it off. If you wait until it is dry or in the dormant season, the bark is stuck pretty hard on the wood.

Posted by: Bob Caulkins (---.doc.wa.gov)
Date: January 23, 2011 03:40PM

I agree. Getting wood off the tree is best in the spring, or at minimum as soon as possible. The second part may be a bit off topic, but Kirk's post made me remember this tool.

As a kid I peeled cascara bark. Slickest way that we had, was to take a 6-8" long bar of metal about 1 1/4" wide. First was to put it in a vice and bend the first 2" of the bar to roughly a 30 (prying head) degree angle. Next grind the angled top down to an edge as sharp as a butter knife. Final thing was to make a notch on one side of the pry head, and file that to a cutting edge. We called it a Bark Spud and it really allowed us to skin the trees, and remove large sheets of bark for drying.

This tool is an all in one and can last a lifetime So it removes all temptation of borrowing mama's toys.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: January 24, 2011 06:53AM

I read this article a few years ago in Rod Maker magazine. I have not tried a birch bark handle as of yet.

I guess I missed the whole idea. I remember back thinking you only used the thin part of the bark as it peeled up off of the trunk. Then you had to press it for a while until it layed flat and then cut it and glued it all together and turn on a lathe.

Did I miss read or are you talking about a different type handle?

It`s tuff getting old.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: scott besse (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2011 09:55AM

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2011 07:20PM

Thanks Scott, I was wrong again. I also found the article in Rod Maker Vol. 9 issue 2.

Other interseting items in this issue Terry Henson had a beautiful feather inlay and Bill Stevens was being himself with the swampland chicken. lol

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster