I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sizing guides
Posted by: Michael Mayo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 22, 2011 08:56PM

Well I have several rods that I am getting ready to re-wrap and I am trying to figure out what the guide sizes are on the rods currently. I have used my digital caliper but none of the ID's seem to match up with what the published sizes are? Hoe do you determine the size on existing guides so that i can order new guides? Also I have two flyrods one a 9 wt. and the other a 10 wt. they both have the same number of guides and are 9 ft. each. They have 2 stripper guides and then the rest are snake guides. How the heck do you figure out what size the snake guides are? And if I wanted to change the snake guides to single foot guides do I pretty mcu stay with the same guide size arrangement? Another words it seems as though the snake guides are all pretty much the same size but I could be wrong, can I just use the same size single foots all the way to the tip top or should I stagger them progressively smaller? The 10 wt. has a Fuji 20 and 16 for the stripper guides and the rest are snakes. The Thomas and Thomas has smaller strippers I think possible a 16 and a 12 and then the same number of snakes. Thanks and sorry for all the questions but I am a little stumped as to what to order for the snakes and/or single foots.

Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Milford, CT.
"I work so I can Fish"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sizing guides
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 23, 2011 06:48AM

Well guide size is based on the OD of the insert or ID of the frame. You do not measure the ID of the insert. Everyone's inserts are a bit different.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2011 08:30AM

You don't need more than 2, perhaps 3 guides sizes. Using multiples of every size only adds weight and creates a less straight line path. You can and certainly should use all the same size snake guides. Determine what is the smallest size that will pass your line and required connections and settle on that size for all your snakes.

Date: January 23, 2011 10:13AM

Mike Sledden Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well guide size is based on the OD of the insert
> or ID of the frame. You do not measure the ID of
> the insert. Everyone's inserts are a bit
> different.

Thanks Mike that is where I was making my mistake I thought it was the ID of the ring.

Michael Mayo
Milford, CT.
"I work so I can Fish"

Date: January 23, 2011 10:13AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You don't need more than 2, perhaps 3 guides
> sizes. Using multiples of every size only adds
> weight and creates a less straight line path. You
> can and certainly should use all the same size
> snake guides. Determine what is the smallest size
> that will pass your line and required connections
> and settle on that size for all your snakes.
>
> ...............

Thank you Tom that answers my other question!

Michael Mayo
Milford, CT.
"I work so I can Fish"

Date: January 23, 2011 10:31AM

Tom,
Is there a way to measure the snake guides on the rod currently to determine the sizes? And is there any benefit to changing the snake guides to single foot guides instead of snake guides i.e. casting efficiency?

Michael Mayo
Milford, CT.
"I work so I can Fish"

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2011 10:44AM

Yes

Less thread wraps, less finish, more flex in the blank, better performance.

A blank works at it's best bare. When you put guides on you add weight, guides, thread, finish, the blank has to carry this weight slows it down.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2011 11:08AM

If you can reduce weight then you've improved the rod. The smallest and lightest guides that will do the job you want done are what you want.

I doubt you'd seem much overall difference in simply changing from snake guides to single foot wire guides. The amount of metal is about the same although you do drop one guide wrap.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2011 11:47AM

Michael
Do yourself a favor and pick up a full set of inexpensive alconite guides - ranging from size 6 to size 40.
Do the same thing for a set of stainless guides.

These guides will then give you a pretty good idea of guide size needed when matching guides to existing guides on a rod. Basically you have an outer diamter that is somewhat simiar to the stainless guides. Then you have the inner diameter which will be similar to the hardaloy guide set. I don't know that there is a real standard for guide sizes between manufacturers but these will give you a good starting point. It is often much easier to actually hold a guide up against another guide, than to use the caliper.
It is also easier to aproximate the look by comparing with an existing guide.

Roger

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2011 06:23PM

Michael,
There may be some difference from manufacturer to manufacturer, but this might help:
[www.batsonenterprises.com]

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster