I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snake skin guide wrap
Posted by: Devin Murakami (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2011 01:41AM

Recently, I ran into a family acquaintance who hunts snakes and sells their skins. I've only wrapped for myself, family and friends, but he has offered to pay me for my services. I have never worked with snake skin. I've seen and read them used as inlays and underwraps, but he wants it as decorative guide wraps.
Has anyone ever attempted this?
I figured I would have to wrap the guide with thread and then place the skins around the wraps, and follow with the finish work.
Any starting points or tips are greatly appreciated.

-Devin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snake skin guide wrap
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2011 09:12AM

the skin would go on under the guide like a under wrap

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2011 09:19AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Double post Sorry
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2011 09:12AM

Double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2011 09:20AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 12, 2011 09:32AM

I just did a bait caster with snake skin under the first guide and came out pretty nice if I do say so myself.
I also wrapped the hook keeper on and and overlaid a 3/4"-1" strip over the center of the wrap. Again, to me it's pretty dang sick looking.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 12, 2011 10:59AM

Hello Everyone

I do'nt know how it would look but what about putting the skin on and before you epoxy it put the guides on and use white thread (non NCP) with no CP so you could see through the wraps and see the skin?

The guide feet will still be seen but you should be able to see quite a bit of the skin done this way.
If you try this let us know how it comes out and take a pic if you can.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2011 11:56AM

If you put white thread over the skin, which is certainly a good idea, you'll have to finish it so that the thread turns truly transparent. The best way to do that is with white silk, finished with a thinned varnish or Permagloss. You could achieve almost the same thing with an epoxy that's been thinned. Not exactly a great thing to do with an epoxy, but it's an option to consider in order to get what you want.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: January 12, 2011 01:28PM

I have found that 000 white silk (no CP) with Threadmaster Lite will go almost completely transparent. No need to thin the TM. You need to have a warm environment & be careful that the epoxy penetrates & leaves no bubbles in the wrap or near the tunnel. The careful use of a bodkin will help.
Bill

Posted by: Devin Murakami (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2011 02:43AM

Thanks for the advice.
I don't know if he will go for the transparent guide wrap.
He was pretty set on the image of the skin covering the feet.
Either way it goes I'll be sure to post some pics. It might be a while since he hopes of grabbing a blank at the Sacramento ISE.
Thank You

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 13, 2011 06:07AM

Hello Devin

Another one you could try is to put your guide on the rod and epoxy it, let it dry cut your skin the way you want it then cut a small slit in the center of the skin so you can slip it over the guide, glue it down and epoxy over that.
There wo'nt be much room for epoxy unless you use real thin coats on both your guide wraps & skin.

Good Luck, let us know what you do & how it turns out.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster