I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heavy Duty Hook Keepers
Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: January 11, 2011 04:51PM

Gidday Lads,

I am looking for a solution to my hook keeper problems. On my heavy rods, the hook keepers I am using (which are the large Fuji type) are not lasting. They get bent and slowly work free from their bindings after a few months.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have used a size 8 guide on one of the rods and the constant pressure has bent the leg. Maybe an REC double foot guide will work. Failing this, I may have to have some made from polished aluminium or SS.

I would appreciate any advice.

Cheers
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heavy Duty Hook Keepers
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 11, 2011 05:06PM

I use the RECoil RSFX guides. They are the heavy duty single foot series. With a locking wrap AND an extension of one inch ... it is durable AND the extension prevents hook scratches.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 05:52PM

Chris,
Just use a double foot stainless guide of an appropriate size. I expect that would hold up just fine.

Roger

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: January 11, 2011 06:01PM

Chris, shoot me an email. I have the same issues on trolling rods, I have a solution that I can email you a photo of. If I could figure out the photo thing here, I would post it.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: January 11, 2011 08:51PM

Tony, email sent. Thanks to Roger and Jim too.. I'll investigate the option of an SS guide.

Thanks again.
Chris

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 11, 2011 11:25PM

Chris,
0.9 or 1.2mm 316 stainless TIG wire makes good hookeepers which won't bend or pull out. You can get it from your local welding supply oulet. I made up a small jig so it can be bent properly.
ESFNEM Col

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 12, 2011 09:07AM

Tony

Check out the top of this page. Tom has posted instructions for the photo page If you have not yet read it. it should help.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 12, 2011 01:19PM

Double-foot snake fly guides have worked as hook keepers for me. They're much more durable than the stuff that's marketed/designed for use as a hook keeper.

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: January 14, 2011 01:57AM

Well I have made many a hook keeper from Stainless Steel Leader wire. You can bend it into many different styles based upon your needs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster