I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Where to buy feathers for inlays?
Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 01:37PM

Since Kate ( Siskiyou Aviary ) does not advertise any longer, where can I buy the feathers that we use for inlays? Kate was a good source, but even on her website now, there is no longer a way to buy them. I'm sure they are available somewhere. Thanks for any help.
Sanford Hochman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where to buy feathers for inlays?
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 10, 2011 01:50PM

I get guinea fowl from the hobby shops.
I buy in pheasant skin whole from fly fishing suppliers.

Posted by: Bert Kinghorn (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 02:03PM

Anglers Workshop, a site sponsor, has a pretty impressive range of stuff. Their inventory is nothing like Kate's, but they may have what you need.

~Bert

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 02:27PM

Angler's Roost as well ... and I think MudHole may have some as well since they've jumped into fly tying

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 09:27AM

Definitly look at the fly fishing and fly tying shops -

good luck,

Marc

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: January 11, 2011 09:39AM

I buy mine from Angler's Workshop also. I think you'll be surprised how many different types of feathers they handle.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 12, 2011 08:31AM

Hello Everyone

Jann's has some too.

I live out in the woods and just look for what feathers are "laying around", a neighbor has some parrots, and guinea foul.
I have some wild birds too, dove, peacock, blue jay, robin, finches, cardinals and others.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 12, 2011 11:43AM

Robert,
if you sell your rods out of state you may want to rethink that process.
Export overseas and it gets even tougher.
Build a travel rod for somebody who goes to where parrots live, and they could get in serious trouble too. Not saying they always will, but they could.
There are many laws governing what you can do with any part of American songbirds,migratory birds as well as exotics: the penalties are harsh. Your neighbors parrots are covered too as in their native land they are protected. International treaties cover them.
here is one overview, there is lots about this out on the web and for your own sake be careful where you source your stuff and keep a document trail.
[www.npwrc.usgs.gov]

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 12, 2011 02:01PM

Hello Lou

That is good to know.
I just pick-up feathers laying on the ground and do'nt even touch them some I do'nt even see I just find the fethers on the ground.
The neighbors have had the parrots for 15+ years and they do'nt shed any good feathers very often.
Most of the feathers I use are for lures and mostly dove and peacock, I have not done a feather inlay on a rod yet.

Again Thanks for the info.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: January 14, 2011 02:26AM

Well if you live near a Bass Pro Shops store with the Fly Fishing area in it, they will have a selection as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster