I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spin Spool Dia vs 1st guide diameter ?
Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 05:35PM

I've built a few walleye rods before, but this is my first backwater / saltwater rod. On the advice of some pretty experienced people, I will be using a size 4000 reel, unlike the size 1000 or 2000 I am used to. The distance from the center of the spool to the blank is 3-3/8". The spool lip diameter is 2".

Is there some kind of "rule of thumb" for the size of the first guide based on the spool size (and the diameter of the line loops it throws)?

I assume that the first guide placement up the blank should be such that the centerline of the spool and the centerline of that first guide align. The centerline of the reel / spool tips up toward the blank somewhat so for a given guide height and distance from the reel spool, it should be possible to align the centers. I'm also assuming that doing this will give the minimal line resistance through that first guide. Maybe I'm all wet?

For completeness, the blank is a 7' St Croix salt water model (brown, SC3) medium power, fast action. I plan to use the single foot, silicon carbide, titanium frame, Fiji concept guides I have on hand, 7 guides and a tip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spin Spool Dia vs 1st guide diameter ?
Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 05:45PM

Skip, go to the Library and take a gander at the New Concept for spinning rods. Just follow the directions.
Bill

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 10, 2011 06:02PM

Third page, first paragraph ... [www.rodbuilding.org].

Definitely read the entire article, go away for a few hours, come back and read it again. Photos are included for clarity.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2011 06:08PM

the height and placement of the guides is more important than the diameter of the ring. especially if you are using braid as it acts differently than mono. you can go pretty small say 16 if you can get the height. think of the spincasting reels. they go down to a small diameter just off the spool. don't get too caught up with the ring size, go as small as you can for the application. many use the larger sized guides so they can get the height needed. using a taller frame guide like A-frame, vs3, or M style ar options to get height without having to use a larger ring size

Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 07:45PM

Thanks for the quick replies to my question. I read the article in the library as recommended, and it is very clear and straight forward. Fortunately, I live within a couple hours drive of Mud Hole Tackle, and will drive over there with my blank and reel, once I have the grips and reel seat in place. That way, I can be sure I am getting the right number of guides and the right sizes. Good ceramic material, in Titanium frames gets pretty "spendy", but the cost goes down with ring size, so the Concept system not only works well ( I assume), but it saves money too.

Regards,

Skip Kerwin

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 10, 2011 08:04PM

When you get to Mudhole, talk to Bob McKamey and he'll fix you up!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2011 11:06PM

Skip,
Yes titanium frame guides with a high quality ceramic insert certainly fills a need for certain customers. But be aware that for most clients and rods, there are many many other guides out there that do a wonderful job, wear a very long time, resist corrosion and do a great job as a rod guide.

Good luck
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster