I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about guides
Posted by: Garey Elkins (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 11:52PM

I usually start my guides with a 10. The line rubs the top of the 1st guide in front of the reel seat. I know this might be a sort of dumb question because I imagine they all rub the top on micros. But I just thought I would ask if I should move the guide further up or I should keep my adjustments with 18-22" for the first guide.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about guides
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2011 12:24AM

With all micros on top, I start with something like 24"-27" and make sure the line doesn't touch the blank on a static test. I don't know that you can avoid the line rubbing on the top completely (without putting the guide out there too far), but you can reduce the angle by pushing the butt guide out a little further. Factory rods with micros have the guide in the more traditional 18"-22" range, and apparently they work all right. After discussing with somebody on another forum, a guy said that braid noise is excessive on his factory rod with a micro at ~18" if I recall correctly. Give it a try both ways, and let us know what you think.

Joe

Posted by: Garey Elkins (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 07, 2011 01:03AM

I have been working off of recipes for a little while now Joe, but I think it is time to get off the puppy chow and do some figuring and testing for myself. Thanks for the reply.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2011 06:53AM

When I have done all micros on a baitcasting rod, the first guide works best for me starting somewhere around the 28-30" range. This is using the blank from Swampland that is 8 foot long.

Posted by: lee smith (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2011 07:25AM

I start mine at 22 unless the buyer is using a round reel, then I go out to 25". JMHO

Lee

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2011 09:37AM

Garey,

I'll add one more piece of the puzzle. I place my guides using static placement (check the library article to read up on the technique), I start at the tip and work toward the butt. When working with micros, I let the line just touch the blank between each guide pair.

Others use static placement and work from the butt to the tip and place the butt guide just like any other guide when working with micros.

The way I place the guides will generally result in about one more guide on the rod, and the butt guide a little closer to the reel than working the other direction.

Joe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2011 01:24PM

Garey,
The easy solution to your issue if you want to keep the guide placement is to either use a larger first guide or a taller guide of the same size.
I agree with you in that on a cast - with a virtually straight rod, that the line should not touch the top or bottom of any guide if things are set up correctly. As far as I am concerned, if a line rubs a guide it is potentially causing friction and loss of distance and control.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster