I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod logo finnish
Posted by: Jay Carroll (66.175.144.---)
Date: January 04, 2011 07:57PM

Ok I want to start putting a logo in the split of my grips. I have notice that they have finish over the logo. What kind of finish is it and how is it applied? I tried with a small brush and epoxy like i do my wraps with and it looks awful.

Oh yeah who can print my logos I have the design?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod logo finnish
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2011 08:13PM

Decal Connection has done my decals in the past, make sure you measure correctly.. Also remembere full color decals have a white backing, so if its a Matte Grey finish rod stick with basic colors for the logo. I used regular epoxy over the decals and apply with brush

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 04, 2011 08:36PM

i just put decal on my last rod, the peel and stick from decal connection, i will never purchase a water slide again.
put the finish over top and it looks the best i have ever done. went back into shop while it was drying 3 times just to look at the decal.
If they can put your logo on a peel and stick and i am sure they can, you won't be disappointed

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: January 04, 2011 09:10PM

Decals are covered with regular epoxy just like a guide wrap. The longer the area covered by the epoxy the more challenging it will be to get a smooth level finish, areas of thicker and thinner finish will form humps. The best technique is to hand turn the rod while wicking off any excess finish each time you rotate the rod 180º.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2011 07:05AM

I find it helpful to put a thin layer of finish epoxy on the rod before applying the decal. This smoothes out any surface irregularities and helps to prevent the micro bubbles that cause "haze" under the decal.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 05, 2011 08:52AM

i have used Decals Connections peal and stick. very nice. no trimming needed. I always put a coat of CP on and then finish.

They can make up any thing you want.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: January 05, 2011 04:43PM

I use an old credit card to help smooth & level out the epoxy finish over the decals. Works for me.

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 10:53AM

Jay -

I've struggles in the past with decals. I have tried several methods including some of the above. You will need to practice on a spare piece of rod blank to find what works best for you.
Here's what has worked for me, but remember there are several other good methods as well.

1 Apply a thin layer of epoxy on the blank where you are going to apply your decal at the same time you apply the first layer on your guide wraps.
2 Use long, horizontal brush strokes on the decal area.
3 I use the same Decal Connection Peel-N-Stick decals. There are a couple vendors you can buy this type of media from to print your own decals on an ink jet printer.
4 Then apply 2-3 thin coats of finish. (I always have to apply several thin layers to get rid of the waves over the decal)
-If I don't apply multiple layers I get the waves guaranteed.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 11:38AM

What I do on long areas is put the finish on, then watch it a while and look at the light going across it. If it looks wavy, I stop the turner and take off any drips. Then start it again. Waves are usually too much finish.
Several thin coats are better then one heavy coat.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ronnie Van Huss (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2011 04:00PM

I use a clearcoat acrylic spray finish. I had always used it to stabilize my gel pen so it wouldn't smear when finish was applied. I experimented with spraying the clearcoat over a decal and it worked perfectly. You must wait an hour or so to be absolutely sure the decal is completely dry, any moisture will ruin it.. Spray lightly with the acrylic. After the spray dries, apply epoxy finish and it comes out beautiful.

Ronnie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster