I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ICRBE Casting Competition
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 03, 2011 10:22AM

Tom,
last year there was a casting competition (which i missed by an hour or so due to a obstructions on the I40).
Is there going to be another one this year?
If so are the parameters the same again or are you thinking of another weight and rod class or ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ICRBE Casting Competition
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2011 10:52AM

I haven't gotten that far into things, yet. Regardless, there is a maximum distance that can be cast before you start bouncing plugs off of adjacent buildings. So it's not the type of thing where you can have surf rods tossing 3 and 5 ounces.

Last year, not a single entrant managed to hit the 150 foot mark with a 3/8ounce plug on a 6'6" rod. So that's still something to shoot for.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 03, 2011 11:25AM

Thanks, yes I bet a surf rod would be dangerous in those confines for sure. Especially if a shock leader broke (i have seen a 4 oz weight go through a radiator of a parked car when things went wrong!). A good surf caster does over 700, the best over 800 ft with 150 grams.
It would be a special rod, reel, line and caster to get much over 150 ft with 3/8ths plug on 6 1/2 ft.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 03, 2011 12:14PM

What line were you guys using, Tom? I want to give it a shot this spring.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 03, 2011 12:59PM

If we are still using the shuttlecock from last year the weather will determine if anyone will be able to cast further or not. If we are using the same plug where can I find one to test with? I have looked pretty hard and not been able to find one like it, all I can find are the hard rubber pyramid shaped ones, which in my testing went about 40 feet further.

Date: January 03, 2011 02:24PM

The hard rubber plug we used came from Bass Pro Shops. It's not that different from the solid plastic ones. Now would it make any difference in the overall outcome since all use the same plug. If the plastic one adds 40 feet, it will add 40 feet for everybody.

6lb test mono or 12lb pound braid (6lb mono diameter) was the stuff if I recall correctly.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2011 04:08PM

Mike Harris
I want a rematch!

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 04, 2011 09:53AM

Hello Everyone & Happy New Year.

I will bring my rod this year and hopefully give you folks a run.
Same Place I take it? What was the time?
Steve I have the model of that blank we were talking about at Tom's Place if you are still interested.

Good Luck to all.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 04, 2011 03:09PM

Steve my plan is to be there for a rematch, hopefully I can call Bob and borrow my rod back from last year and build a spinning rod, I have a few new reel tricks up my sleeve. The only issue I may have right now is that I am planning to switch from the BFL Savannah River division to the NC division since the regional is on Lake Hartwell which is one of my home lakes. The first tournament is on Norman the Saturday of the show, since Norman is only 1.5 hrs from High Point I may be able to come for the contest and still make the pairing meeting on Friday night, fish Saturday, and make the show on Sunday.

You must have access to a better stocked BPS than I have been able to find. I looked at 2 different stores, plus Academy and every other store or website I buy tackle from and I have not been able to find a casting plug like the one we used last year, the small rubber pyramid ones are the only ones I have been able to find. Obviously I should be the last one to wine after last year’s results, but I believe that the aerodynamics of the plug we used had a lot to do with the fact the results were so close together. Anything we can do to eliminate external influences like headwinds and poor aerodynamics of the projectile will produce a better test and allow differences in the rods and reels to be highlighted.

Date: January 04, 2011 04:54PM

As long as everyone casts the exact same plug, any differences will be due to something other than the plug.

Wind is something that we can't do anything about, although everyone gets 3 casts, at their leisure, and all cast down the same alley.

The reason most of the results were fairly close is due to the fact that you reach a point of diminishing returns in terms of guide systems. There were perhaps a couple set ups that were a long ways off from state of the art systems and they brought up the rear by a good bit. Once you reached the rest, which were all based on sound principles and practice, the differences in distance were far less evident. It would be pretty difficult for anyone to arrive and outdistance most of the rods there by any large margin. As long as good builders are involved, the winner is always going to be decided by a very slim margin.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2011 06:47PM

Mike
"I have a few new reel tricks up my sleeve"

That's the only thing that worries me.

Date: January 05, 2011 08:01AM

Hello Everyone

I ordered 8 practice plugs from Bass Pro Shops, they don't look exactly like the one tom has but there are 8 of them and they are 3/8oz.

I still need the time we are going to start so I can plan my start time to leave from Bridgeton, it's about a 5 hr drive.
Tight Wraps and Long Casts.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2011 09:11AM

Pad your drive time... Last year I hit traffic snags around Washington, DC and then again below Richmond. What should have been 5 hrs turned into more like 8

Date: January 05, 2011 11:13AM

Hello Ken

That is padded a bit, if I am ahead of schedule I will stop at my sisters house in Durham than ketch 85 there.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 07, 2011 02:01PM

I have some Eagle Claw rubber 3/8 plugs that I found in a local bait store. I think they are similar to the BPS ones.

[docs.google.com]

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: January 09, 2011 07:00PM

The Eagle Claw, BPS and all the other hard rubber plugs are nothing like the one that Tom had last year. His is about 3 times the size for the same weight, and has the aerodynamics of a barn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster