I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help!!! first diamond wrap does not look right
Posted by: Kern Davis (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 29, 2010 10:14PM

I just finished my first diamond wrap on a scrap blank. It just doesn't look right. I have Toms rod building book . Followed instructions, i think i may have the wrapping sequence messed up. Is it to my understanding that your first wrap goes towards the tip, then take the next wrap and go towards the butt?, Thus, a going away and coming toward you effect? Any help would be appreciated in my thinking process. Just for kicks , I tried the multiple thread wrapping, worked pretty good, a little patience goes a long way.

Kern Davis, Lady Lake Fl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help!!! first diamond wrap does not look right
Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2010 12:23AM

Hey Kern,

You are doing just fine. Just remember the sequence on the diamond is to set your center cross wrap and then alternate above and below your initial cross wrap mark. You start as explained in Toms book going toward the tip then down to the butt. Your first up and down wraps will be the center of the diamond. Using a different color thread follow the initial wrap up and down just as you did to start, now using the same color go towards the tip and back down again only this time run the thread under the center wrap. This should give you the first visual of a diamond. Repeat with different colors or fade with different shades of the same base color. If you have any questions let me know. finchaser60@yahoo.com

Tight lines,

John Hernandez

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2010 07:58AM

The direction you go makes no difference really . You just have to remember that with a diamond, whatever you do on one side of the wrap you must also do on the other.

So, starting from the butt towards the tip, make a pass to the left of the center going up, then make a pass to the left of center coming back down. Then do the same thing on the next step, but make those passes to the right of the center.

You can also do the same thing by making a pass left of center up and stop. Then make the next pass left of center, down. Then right of center up and stop. Then right of center down.

Date: December 30, 2010 08:08PM

Ok, the way i started wrapping was from the butt end toward the tip, i did not start the next cross wrap from the tip end of the rod. All my wrapping started from the butt end. Thank you all for the input. This is a fun hobby for me, i would like to spend more time, but i do have a wife and a 4 year old boy , who i would like to get involved with this craft when he is old enough. Going to try to upload photo of diamond wrap.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2010 10:01PM

Just saw your photo Kern. What about the wrap doesn't look right to you? Do you think the diamonds are to small? If so, just add to them & make
them bigger. Were you trying to get perfect 90* angles? The points but to tip are just a tiny bit closer than the points across the blank. Follow?

The wrap looks pretty darn straight!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: December 30, 2010 11:26PM

Ray thanks for the compliment. you cant really see in these picts what does'nt look right to me. in the upper left corner of the diamonds i can see the over wrap of the previous threads. To the right lower corner of the diamond i dont see this effect. Would this go away when i apply my flexcoat?

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2010 01:02AM

Kern,

Not sure what you mean by your discription. If your talking about the bottom threads showing thru the upper threads, you need to pack tighter and, no the finish wont hide it but you will have to look closely.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: December 31, 2010 09:18AM

Kern,

I agree with Ray, just add more thread for a larger diamond. It will make a big difference. I think you did a great job for your first one.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster