I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cork Grip Assembly
Posted by: keith ridgers (---.6-3.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: January 02, 2011 02:36PM

I use to make rods on a commercial basis for the tackle shop I ran way back in the late 60s -early 70s here in S E England ! now retired , I have just started making cane rods for for hobby ! as for "corking up" handles if you have a lathe with a large enough bore through the machine , having the corks on the butt section was always my preference ! and I very seldom had to bore any out, I had corks with different bores , so I could, by practice. select ones that pushed down the blank and fitted snug. and all I used to glue them with was some overly thick polyurethane varnish! never had ,to my knowledge one come adrift. happy days !

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 05, 2011 07:18AM

Craig,
How did it workout for you?
Herb

Posted by: Craig Steele (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 01:50AM

I've been on a brief vacation away from home, so have not yet tried to build the steady rest. I should be back in Nevada Friday night, so I'll have to start the project then. Since the drive shaft from the drill inserts into the butt end of the first (cork handle) section, obviously the first cork piece will have to have a hole in it. Any suggestions for building a plug for this hole? I've thought I might be able to epoxy a little cork on the end of a piece of steel (like a nail head) and then turn it to size. Then slice it off and insert it. But perhaps there is a better way? Maybe roughly shape, then insert, then sand?

Posted by: Craig Steele (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: January 06, 2011 01:50AM

I've been on a brief vacation away from home, so have not yet tried to build the steady rest. I should be back in Nevada Friday night, so I'll have to start the project then. Since the drive shaft from the drill inserts into the butt end of the first (cork handle) section, obviously the first cork piece will have to have a hole in it. Any suggestions for building a plug for this hole? I've thought I might be able to epoxy a little cork on the end of a piece of steel (like a nail head) and then turn it to size. Then slice it off and insert it. But perhaps there is a better way? Maybe roughly shape, then insert, then sand?

Posted by: Craig Steele (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: January 08, 2011 02:00AM

Just got home..... And I have cut out the base, and two bars for the horizontal pieces of the steady rest. Will aquire the bearings tomorrow.(I hope). Fortunately, my rod blank is hollow and it will accept the 5/16" "mandrell" inserted to turn it. I am optimistic that when the steady rest is done, the cork turning will go well.

Posted by: Craig Steele (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: January 11, 2011 06:17PM

The cork is done. I reamed the cork rings and epoxied the bottom section to the blank and cured. Epoxied the reel seat to the blank and the fore grip (it's a switch rod) to the blank and cured. I built a steady rest with a single bearing set in a wood block, and mounted the butt section of my rod between the steady rest, and a mounted drill motor. Both end supports were screwed to my bench. The butt section skewered onto a drill bit with masking tape used to adjust the OD to fit the blank. The equipment was rather crude, and I had to stop many times to re-skewer the butt on the drill, but the end product is dandy. The only thing I would definately change is I would use an arbor to make certain the reel seat is concentric with the blank. It showed some wobble on my lathe. I can't see how this wobble will impact the fishability of the rod.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster