I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st Vertical Jigging Build!!!!!
Posted by: Wes Christy (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: December 26, 2010 10:12PM

OK, so i got a 5'8" 50-100 lb. vertical jigging blank from mud-hole. I want to match it up with a Fin Nor Offshore (OFS) 55. I would like to know what would be the best option as far as reel seat, grip options and size of guides would be to best maximize this great blank. i will be running 50lb power pro on the reel with a Fluorocarbon top shot. any help is great considering i have never built something to withstand this type of constant abuse.

P.S. i am trying to have this done by the 17th of Jan. to go jigging for blue-fin off Hatteras...that way i can test out my craftsmanship.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st Vertical Jigging Build!!!!!
Posted by: Timothy Johnson (129.133.195.---)
Date: December 26, 2010 11:06PM

I just built one of those a few weeks ago! 14" EVA rear grip, Perfection Ball Gimbal, Cross Cut EVA foregrip cut down to 8", Am Tackle Typhoon guides (40, 25, 20, 16, 12), size 12 Fuji SiC tip top. I did a metallic underwrap, and then a double wrap of thread over the guide feet, epoxying each layer of thread. I went with a Pac Bay Aluminum Channel Lock Slim reel seat, but the Fuji DPSH, Pac Bay Channel Lock Graphite with Aluminum hoods, ALPS Centralock, Pac Bay Channel Lock in a 20 or 22 should all work as well. If you are going after large bluefin, you may want to bump up the braid. Power Pro 50# breaks a lot for me at 24# when I use a knot. If you splice in a hollow core top shot onto the braid and use a loop to loop, you may get more breaking strength from the Power Pro. I would step up to 60# Jerry Brown hollowcore or 65# solid braid at the very least. You should be able to get around 300 yds of 60# hollow core (breaks at 90# for the Jerry Brown) and use loop to loop connections. The 60# hollow, when packed tightly, is approximately 20# mono equivalent.

Enjoy the build!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 27, 2010 05:49AM

next time you order the blank talk to them about the rest of the parts. it is cheaper to get it all in one order. They have them there and can check fit and recommend what to use.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Wes Christy (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: December 27, 2010 09:29AM

well i got it as a gift. that is however what i usually do with all my other rods i build.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster