I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ferrule wrap, nick in blank
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 08, 2010 09:44AM

Have a 9ft 2wt blank. At has a nick in the top section, its abt 3/16" long thinner than a 1/16" as I run my finger nail over the spot I can feel the slight depression. Is this going to do anything to the structural integrity of the blank? I need a number as to how close I should go to the edge of the female ferrule section when wrapping. thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ferrule wrap, nick in blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2010 09:47AM

Get as close as you can to the edge - that's the only place where a split-out can start. At least within a couple mm, if not closer.

When you say you have a "nick" are you referring to something that appears molded or formed, or a true nick/scrape type of thing? If the imperfection appears to be formed into the area, it's most likely within a glass reinforcement outer wrap placed to strengthen the ferrule and is of no concern.

Posted by: Bill Cohen (67.238.171.---)
Date: December 08, 2010 11:07AM

In reference to the true nick or scrape This is not in a spot where a wrap will be , thanks

Date: December 08, 2010 11:07AM

In reference to the true nick or scrape This is not in a spot where a wrap will be , thanks

Date: December 08, 2010 11:23AM

I'm trying to determine if you what you have is a flaw in a reinforcement material, depression in the finish, etc., or whether it is a cut or scrape down into the blank material itself.

Date: December 08, 2010 11:40AM

Sorry I tried to explain this. Its a cut into the blank I would not call it a scrape because it actually is "ridged" not very deep less than a 1/16 of an inch

Date: December 08, 2010 11:53AM

Any cut or scrape that penetrates the blanks actual surface is a potential trouble spot. If you read the RodMaker article on rod breakage, you no doubt noticed that such damage, particularly on the tip area, seriously reduces the rod's lifting capacity and can easily result in failure.

At the minimum you can place a reinforcement wrap over that area, extending it a bit beyond both ends of the damage and hope for the best. Whether or not it would ever cause any trouble depends on the particular blank, the wall thickness, where it's located along the blank, etc.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (75.55.50.---)
Date: December 08, 2010 08:09PM

Be sure to test the blanks flex capability to see if it fractures at the damaged point be fore you add labor to your project. WOW a 9ft 2wt.....that's long for such a light rod.

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 09, 2010 08:50AM

just something to play with lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster