I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How heavy are these ?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 06, 2010 11:25AM

A guy came in with his fathers glass 6'6 fluke rod.
It has these guides on it : [www.mudhole.com]
These are brass and I was thinking they are heaver then most any other guides
He just wanted it rebuilt to clean it up I know I can make it better and lighter If I can talk him into it ?
6'6 with 8 guides. I should be able to get rid of at least one depending on static test.

Am I right ??
Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2010 11:30AM by bill boettcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How heavy are these ?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 06, 2010 11:47AM

I wouldn't dream of changing that rod ... it belonged to his father. IMO, the best thing to do is to make it look as close as possible to the original, yet as clean and bright as possible. Be sure to preserve all original labels, etc.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2010 11:58AM

As Jim has posted: Talk to him about it BEFORE you make ANY changes. He may want it exactly as he remembers his father using it.

Date: December 06, 2010 12:02PM

Thanks Jim

All I was going to do is add a little gold to the seat, butt cap, and gold winding check. Thread is brown , I was thinking of black with several gold trim rings. He likes - shinny - so I was going to urethane the blank.

Ken

I build them as per customer instructions. Showed him pictures of the gold butt cap, seat and check - he loved it No labels on it

Then again for further reference are they heaver?

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2010 01:02PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 06, 2010 12:48PM

I would try to explore the options of leaving the rod alone and building an entirely new one, and/or simply restoring it to what it once was.

I have 2 rods I cannot and will not ever change. One is the first I built totally myself. The other is the first which was completed with my father's help and assistance. I still have and use both rods, but to me they are nearing retirement age. It is a sentimental thing.

Date: December 06, 2010 01:02PM

Bill -
Give me the size(s) of the guides and I will weight them for you - i have them on hand. I also have others (much lighter by American Tackle) that I can also weigh for you

Date: December 06, 2010 01:11PM

Ken

BBLG are the American tackle guides. Brass. They look like butt 12 but there is so much black paint on them I will have to clean to get a good measurement. With the paint the tips look like 6's Got to be 8's .

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 06, 2010 01:20PM

Guides you have:

12 = .51 oz
10 = .34
08 = .17

American Tackle titanium ring lock casting /boat guides (gold inner ring since you're thinking gold trim)

12 = .09 0z
10 = .05
08 = .04

CONSIDERABLE savings in weight !

Date: December 06, 2010 02:01PM

You ain't kidding Thanks Ken I am going to show this to the son when he comes over.
The gold ring is also on the boat guides. I never showed him cause he has a - Price -
I will show him and see if he wants to spend more.

Thanks for the help and ideas.

hay Ken

His father loves the rod even with the heavy double foot guides.
I make the guides lighter give the rod more flex, better performance ---- Then maybe he don't like it -- Not the same rod any more ????

Like said - make it the same so it performs the same - That He Likes.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2010 06:22PM by bill boettcher.

Date: December 06, 2010 06:27PM

Bill -
Those guides (to my mind) are well worth the extra $$. NO issues with rusting or green goo and exceptional inner rings

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 06, 2010 07:44PM

Bill do not change thing, keep the same guide spacing. Polish up the guides, if they are Brass, simple Steal Wool wrapped around a drill bit put n a drill an turned at high speed well polish them up and get rid of groves. I Would bet these guides were at one time chromed. Where did all the paint come from?

Good Wraps Bob

Date: December 07, 2010 06:33AM

Bill
Alternate guide choice American Tackle GZBTR. Black frame / gold ring boat rod guide (three legged). Much lighter (less than half) than what's on the rod now and are less expensive than the titanium frames and will be in keeping with the gold schemed butt & guide wraps. Again - need to make sure the customer is ok with any change.

Bob
I think the paint that Bill refs is that the BBLG guides have are black paint over brass frame. I use the black / gold inner ring on trolling rods. They're very, very durable - which the charter captains like cause they can take a customer's neglect

Date: December 07, 2010 12:40PM

Bill Thanks for the info. I was just wondering when he mentioned paint. I have a few old Brass guides that were tubular that are pre WW11

Good Wraps Bob

Date: December 07, 2010 12:53PM

His father painted the guide frames and rings with black paint. Not sure what kind ?
Guess he likes black so that is why the new ones will be black. No paint - plated. I think he had this rod for about 30 years.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 07, 2010 01:03PM

I would just replace the guides with new Black ones and leave the rest as original as possible, in remembrance to his Father. A rod that is 40 years old will start to break down if it was fished allot in extreme weather conditions be it hot or cold. He did not mention how the grips were. I bet they need to be redone also

Good Wraps Bob

Date: December 07, 2010 01:35PM

Yep, grips and seat. This was used a LOT !

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster