I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How much thread per rod?
Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: December 05, 2010 06:33PM

How many rods per 100yrd spool of thread for the avg fly rod? Or should i say how many spools per rod?

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2010 06:33PM by kevin gross.

Re: How much thread per rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2010 08:05PM

A fly rod requires very little thread. Wrap one guide. Remove the thread and measure it. Multiply by the number of guides and feet you would have on the average rod. That will give you the amount for the average fly rod you build. Remember to toss in a couple extra inches per guide for the amount you trim starting and finishing the wrap.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2010 08:07PM

How many guides? Single foot or double foot? Any deco wraps? How many guide re-wraps do you anticipate? Many variables, to say the least...When I started building rods, I could easily get one fly rod from a 100 yard spool. Now, I can sometimes get 3 fly rods out of a spool, using SF running guides, but I don't take chances. Thread is cheap. I always make sure to have at least a full 100 yards for each rod I build.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: December 05, 2010 08:27PM

I was just wondering how much thread i needed to make sure i have on hand. i am building two 9ft fly rods.

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2010 08:45PM

If it were me, I would have two100 yard spools for this project.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 05, 2010 09:53PM

You will need less than 20' of thread to finish a fly rod - assuming alll two footed guides.
Herb

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 06, 2010 12:58AM

In any case I would order 2 spools just to cover mistakes. An other reason to oder and extra spool at the same time. Is because of color lot changes

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2010 01:50AM

Basically, most guides take about 1 foot of thread.
A butt wrap will take more, depending on how long the wrap on the rod is. Generally a typical rod will take 15-30 feet of thread.

For a 100 yard spool or 300 feet, this should give you a minimum of about 10 rods.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (199.117.182.---)
Date: December 06, 2010 06:46AM

When I started I got a starter kit, came with a little book and it said each rod has about 70 yards of thread on it. I've found out that it takes way less than that, or way more depending on what your building. Fly rods are pretty simple, Like george, I'd buy two spools of 100 yards, or get a pro spool and have enough thread to wrap for days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster