I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy batch for 13 microguides plus tip
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2010 09:39PM

I am trying ot figure out what size of batch I should mix, for like 13 micros plus tip, or should I just do the rod in 2 parts, one half then the other, just wondering for now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy batch for 13 microguides plus tip
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 29, 2010 09:43PM

3ccs of each part. You'll have some left over - pennies at most, but will ensure yourself of the best margin for error and ensure good curing results.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (199.117.182.---)
Date: November 29, 2010 11:19PM

I'd stick with 3cc's like tom said. I've tested with 2cc's each part myself. Some products take well to it, other products not so much and I stick with 3 parts each there.

Date: November 29, 2010 11:43PM

Thanks, I was almost there, I was thinking of like 2 and a half cc's, I 'll go with the 3cc's, like you said, thanks.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2010 02:25PM

Lorenzo,
Start with a small batch and see how it goes.
Especially when working with a new guide style I don't necessarily know either how much epoxy will be required and how long the applicaiton will take.
I dislike working with epoxy that has began to cure at all.

So, if I were you, I would start with a small batch, and coat what you can, until the mix begans to thicken.
Then, mix up another batch, if needed, or even a 3rd batch if needed.

After you coat a few hundred guides, you will get the best sized mix that works well for you and your style coating. Some folks like to use a thinner, some folks like to use some heat to thin a mix, or some folks use something else. Every person is unique, every person uses unique products to them, and uses unique techniques that work for them.

It is always a good thing to ask for advice, but in the end - use products, procecedures and technniques that work for you.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.sip.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 30, 2010 02:36PM

Lorenzo -

Epoxy is very cheap when you compare using 2cc's, 3cc's or even 6cc's each. Don't get carried away with how much or how little epoxy you mix. Remember how much time and effort you put into wrapping the guides. Don't get a crappy finish by trying to hurry the epoxy. I'm not suggesting you apply finish slowly. Make sure you have plently available. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Just my two cents.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 30, 2010 03:56PM

Tom gave you the best measurement, Also what wast you get depends on how fast you work

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 30, 2010 06:36PM

Keep in mind, that the smaller the batch, the more precise you must be in matching the quantities of the two parts! Example: if you are doing 1cc each, a single drop can make a difference in curing, with 3cc's not so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2010 06:36PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: November 30, 2010 06:45PM

When it comes to curing, remember this : Too much hardener and the mix will never cure. Too much resin and the stuff will flash off before you can get2 guide wraps covered

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 30, 2010 09:00PM

Bob is right. I am very slow at applying epoxy. I bought some stuff that was supposed to be 1 hour cure time. I mixed up a small batch to do a reel seat (3cc's total). This stuff flashed in about 5 minutes. I only needed a small amount, so did 1.5cc of each part. Save yourself time and money, and mix a minimum of 3cc's each part. If you are slow like I am, you may need to mix more then one batch.

I would also suggest that you develope a habit when mixing epoxy. Keep the resin and hardener seperate on your bench. I take the resin down, and measure it, and put it away. Then do the same with the hardener.

You only have to go back a number of posts to see questions about my finish didn't set up.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: December 01, 2010 01:09AM

Lorenzo how are or what are you using to measure the finish?

Good Wraps Bob

Date: December 01, 2010 08:04PM

Bob, I use the syringe way of measuring, and putting it the epoxy mixer, then I use a small brush 1/8 inch and do the back side of the micro, then I switch to the 1/4 size and do the other side the longer side of the micro then I do the 180 degree turn till it levels off then let turn on the drying mode.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster