I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank Suggestions
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 23, 2010 10:19AM

What would you guys suggest for a 7 1/2' black fish and cod blank. graphite 30 - 80 lb mono line. Reasonable price ??

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank Suggestions
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2010 11:26AM

Where is he fishing? YOu're goign to have to cut a blank to get it right, so it's imperative that you know what he's looking to do. Graphite is the wrong rod for most people, way too stiff, although there are people who like them, I am one of them.

Date: November 23, 2010 11:53AM

Billy

I have been reading your posts 2 years ago. I should get him a composite. A lot of suggestions . And a few broken rods.

He has a price range,so I am looking for a fare price. I think he is fishing from a boat, but not sure.

What do you suggest. I am checking out your site.

I am going for a Batson blank. Companies are making tooooo much stuff

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 01:08PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 23, 2010 02:04PM

The new Seeker Hercules blanks are pretty impressive. I suggest taking a look at them to meet your needs.

Date: November 23, 2010 03:13PM

If he is Codfishing off Montauk you will need a rod to jig 8-12oz, and handle 10-20oz for bait. IF he is Codfishign up North off RI or Mass or NH, he will need a rod that jigs up to 20oz, and handles 32oz of lead.

If he's Blackfishing off NY/NJ, 6-12oz is the common weight range. Out East up to 20oz. DOwn south NJ, Dele, Maryland where there are a lot more wrecks and structure and larger fish, you should have a heavier rod than the NY/NJ rod.

I am not familiar with the Batson line up, but I think I gave you a starting point in what to expect. IF he's only fishing Montauk fo rCod, one rod will work well for both. If he's going up North there is not 1 blank that will work well for both.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: November 23, 2010 04:55PM

Billy, what are your thoughts on using a muskie rod? I know some guys like them for blackfish. I'm curious if you have personally tried them, and if so, what your thoughts were.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: November 23, 2010 05:10PM

Thanks for the info Billy. I got to ask about the weight he will use.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 23, 2010 11:13PM

THe majority of Musky rods guys us for both types of fishing are St. Croixs. I personally find them way too stiff, but there are a lot of people using them and they do like them a lot. The biggest problemwith all graphite rods for Blackfishing is twofold - breaking out of the bottom, and swinging fish over the rail. Inboth instances you have to be a little careful r you can blow the rod up, quite easily actually. High sticking with braid and locked drag is a reality, and if you are somewhat careful you won't have a problem, th thing is if you make a mistake you can blow your rod up. I have 3 Blackfish GUSA's that I blew up, one I used for 2 years about 30 times a year without a problm, until I swung an 8# fish into the rail and gave it an extra umph! and it folded in half. TH othr I was stuck in th bottom and swung at a bite and popped it, I spent 25 hours building the rod and broke it after fishing for 3 minutes, no exageration.

So I would not deter anyone from using a grpahite rod, but I would be careful who I built them for and made sure they undrstood how th rod WILL break and that I will not offer a warantee replacement. THatmakes them treat their rods a lot different. FOr customersit's much easier to sell them a composite, andyou dont' have to worry about the rod coming back unless they ar really stupid.

Anothr thing - with Blackfish you do not need all that sensitivity, actuallly you need less a lot of times when they are biting picky. The mor you fel the fish bite, the more the fish feels and backs off the bait. I know several guys I built rods for who cannot gt th fish to bite with thir GUSA Mega MAgs because thy fish with too tight of a line.

Date: November 24, 2010 08:10AM

Do a search of - Black fishing blanks - and you will get a lot of info. Also on the broken rods

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster