I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Near Disaster: EVA vs. Hypalon
Posted by: Rich Gorden (---.gnv.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 19, 2010 06:53PM

I recently put a rod together recently. I had ordered EVA grips. I've been building for a long time, mostly using cork for grips. I guess I've used hypalon quite a bit, but it seems I've not used EVA much. I never considered they'd be much different. I ordered the grips with ID's that I thought were pretty close to the blank diameter. I epoxied the butt section and put the butt grip on and tried to slide it down the blank and seat it. Here's what I didn't realize: EVA doesn't stretch like hypalon. Most of you probably know that, but hopefully this will help some new builders. I had to cut the grip off with a razor. Luckily I was able to clean the blank up and I happened to have a piece of hypalon on hand that worked. The EVA foregrip fit fine with a little sanding. I don't ever remember reading much about the difference between EVA and Hypalon. I realized when I ordered it that EVA is a harder material, which is apparently why it doesn't stretch. I'd be interested to hear which product you folks prefer, and if there's a better way to fit the EVA other than sanding down. It seems like the sandpaper reamers don't cut the EVA too well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Near Disaster: EVA vs. Hypalon
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 19, 2010 08:20PM

Rich you said, " epoxied the butt section and put the butt grip on and tried to slide it down the blank and seat it". I could be misunderstanding you but this is what I do.

Let the eva slide down into place with no pressure and mark the bottom end's location. Remove the grip and apply most of the epoxy on the tip side of that line. Yes, I mean 75% of your epoxy will be applied a foot or three forward of where the grip will go. It helps to take a foot of 1" by 4" and bore a hole in the middle a little bigger than the blank. It is used to push the grip down as you only want pressure at the front of it. Once you start to move the grip don't stop until she is home!!!!!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2010 08:56PM

I would advise that if the ID of the EVA is significantly smaller then the OD of the blank...by using the 2X4 as a push tool,you risk crushing the blank at the lower end,if not before it. A grip that is a closer match,ID to OD,will be a better bet.

Date: November 19, 2010 09:34PM

Russ- yep, I wasn't too clear, but that's how I also applyepoxy. The ID of the EVA is .60 inches, and the diameter of the blank just above the butt cap is .78 inches. I thought it would be close enough but there was no way it was getting even close. I think the Hypalon piece I wound up using only had an ID of 3/8" or so. Now that stuff will stretch! That's a good idea about the wooden push tool, I'm gonna try that, but it seems Chuck is right about getting the EVA diameters closer to start with. I also wondered if liquid epoxy might be "slicker" than the paste I've been using? I think the bottom line is that if you're an occasional builder like me without much stock, it helps to order the blank ahead of time to measure for components and not order all at once, although I'm sure the vendors would probably work with the builder.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: November 19, 2010 10:32PM

Gentlemen,
I've never used EVa so I don't have any real experience with working with it. However, about three years ago I was an the Pacific Northwest Rod Building Weekend and attended a seminar about installing EVA grips. I remember watching the "teacher" pour a solvent into the EVA grip and then grasping the grip with your hand at the tip end pushing it into place. No adhesive was used. As I recall, the air caught in the grip by holding one end tight was sufficient to have an air cushion for the grip to ride on. As I mentioned this was three years ago. You might try to contact Bob Balcome and Terry Hansen who attend that workshop regularly. Good luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 19, 2010 11:22PM

Both Coach and Doc Ski

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2010 11:34PM

Check the FAQS page for an easy method for installing EVA. It actually stretches quite a bit - you just have to put the epoxy in the right place. Many don't.

Date: November 20, 2010 10:52PM

Thanks Tom, I read the FAQ. I applied the epoxy as instructed, but maybe I wasn't squeezing the top of the grip hard enough and too much epoxy remained on the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster