I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

6' trout rod
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 08:24PM

Evening Gentlemen,

I have a buddy that would like for me to make a couple of rods for Christmas, not a bid deal... Problem is that he is wanting a blank in the six foot range for floating power bait for trout. They are using spinning reels with 4 lb mono. My choices would be an MHX SJ720, ISB720 or possibly the Batson IS720. I am really not to familiar with the whole power bait trout thing. I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions!!

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 6' trout rod
Posted by: mike burnette (209.105.132.---)
Date: November 15, 2010 10:47PM

Thomas I have a 2 pc 3 wt. Batson fly blank.I dont remember the specs.
I am building for a micro spinning reel to use with 2 to 4 lb line.
email me and i can get the spec tomorrow.
mikeb

Home Town,Gretna VA

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 11:09PM

Power Bait is a dough bait pinched around and through a small treble hook, (usually a size 10), it has a low specific gravity so it will float the hook off the bottom, usually rigged with a slip sinker so the fish doesn't feel resistance. The bait gives off a scent trail (cloud) and doesn't sling off as easily as salmon eggs. I'd prefer a 7 ft rod like the Batson IP 840, but a 6 ft ultralight blank will work also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 11:13PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: November 16, 2010 01:05AM

What is his budget for the blanks?

If you are going to use a fly rod power, I would say about a 4 or 5 wt. 3 wt is too light in my opinion.

Also, it depends on what 4lb test they are using. Some brand's 4 lb test is like another brand's 8 lb test

With powerbait, I think most medium action blanks would work just fine.

Mo

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: November 16, 2010 08:07AM

The rod blank that works the best for me for powerbaiting trout is a Mudhole CRB IS561L stretched out to 6ft 2in. The rating is fast but in reality it feels more med to me and with powerbait that is a very good thing. Much beyond a med to med fast and the pea sized piece of bait flies off on the cast. You often have to use a single barbless hook like a mosquito style one in #6 or #8 : that does not help with the bait staying on. Treble hooks can be against the law for trout in some places.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: November 16, 2010 08:19AM

Mo,
Good to hear from ya. The budget he is looking to stay within is around the 60-70 range. I am not sure the exact line they are using. I hope to have that information today. Mike, you have mail. Spencer I have some of those at the house and will see what they think. Thanks again gents and keep the suggestions coming if you have any.

Tom

Posted by: Eugene Moore (96.47.201.---)
Date: November 16, 2010 01:45PM

Thomas,
You might consider the Cabela's PT plus 6 foot 4 weight 2-piece.
Currently on sale.
Should be excellent for what you require.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: November 17, 2010 09:04PM

Nearly 20 Years ago, I built a 7 1/2 foot ultra light spinning rod using a 4 wt fly-rod blank I got from Netcrafters in Toledo. It was the only rod of Its kind that I knew of back then, and I have no idea what kind of blank it was. Now-a-days, I use 3 lb fire on the rod, and it is still a blast. The blank is a two piece graphite blank, and the bend is parabolic. It was modeled after a rod that I had Dick Swan built for me a couple of years earlier in the mid 80's. That rod was a one piece rod 8 footer, using a Noodle Rod blank with a shortened fighting blank. Dick had never build an 8 foot ultra light before, so he called it a "Bike Rod", and I still have not figured out why he called it that. Dick lived in Clare Michigan a few miles from my home town, and held many light line records on his noodle rods for salmon and trout on the Great Lakes. I do not know if he is still alive, but he was a master... Back to the 7 1/2 rod... The rod will not break the Fireline, and because the braid does not stretch, you feel every bump. Make sure you have a good drag... It has landed more than a few pike, and small-mouth bass, while gill fishing. Trout are a blast on it, as well as river walleyes. At first, It was a little hard to get around with, but I have learned that the extra length is great to reach trout with live bait from the bank, and from the boat, it is my go to rod. And, you can always break the rod down to get to the river. Think about one of the new 7'6" blanks that are out there, and match it up with a no stretch line, and have a ball. My rod has a slow action, and a soft tip, so if catch and release is your game, remember, you will play the fish a little longer on a rod like this... Just my opinion, but I think it is worth a look...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster