I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

My thought for new shop owners
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 12:24PM

I get a monthly magazine called Fishing Tackle Retailer (FTR for short), Some of the RM's sponsors have adds in it. This magazine gives monthly reports on fishing tackle, what to look for in the future and what your customers needs well be. .This issue made some good points for how to operate a business in this down sizing economy . Did you know that most fishermen at least fish 74% of the time, which equals at least 20 days a year, and there is an another group of 55% that fish 55 days a year and most have at least 13 rods and reels. I would bet that some of those rods need fixing or improving . So for those of you who are in the business or considering a business in custom rods and rod repair, I recommend this free magazine. It has a wealth of info. for the the guys/gals who are considering starting up a rod shop. I also recommend specializing in one single type of fishing rod . Get known as the best flipping stick, drop rod, drift rod or back bouncing rod builder around. Customers well come to you. The magazine also stated that 73% of all serious fishermen shop at specialty shops (not big box stores ) Just my 2 cents worth of wisdom. As always My punkuaction still stinks! if you can not decipher what I just typed please email me at balcomberods@aol.com
Good Wraps Bob PS if Tom reads this I bet he could recommend even more of these types of magazines, The more info you have the better off you are.

Good Wraps Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My thought for new shop owners
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 12:56PM

Got no spell check LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: November 10, 2010 02:50PM

It comes back to identifying your target market and going after them specifically to ensure success.

If most people studied the demographics related to their target market, they could have a more realistic expectation of the business and again what they need to do to sell to their target market. What you listed is a start, but it doesn't address average income, potential profitability, education, experience, etc.

The biggest issue I see on here is the same as many "crafts". People want their hobby to be a business but then treat their business like it's a hobby.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 10, 2010 03:29PM

I think that many builders here (if not MOST) DO consider their "business" as somewhat of a hobby and there is NOTHING wrong with that nor is it an "issue". At the very top of this page it states "The internet's Gathering Place for Custom Rod Builders" It does NOT differentiate between hobbyists and businesses!!

I think that the majority of builders here are not interested in a full time "job/business" but rather something that will help pay for their "obsession" and maybe bankroll a few fishing trips, trip to the ICRBE or supplement their retirement.

Everyone builds rods for different reasons. What those reasons are has absolutely NO bearing on quality or workmanship nor makes anyone a better (or worse) builder than anyone else

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: November 10, 2010 04:34PM

Mike Barkley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
At the very top of this page it states
> "The internet's Gathering Place for Custom Rod
> Builders" It does NOT differentiate between
> hobbyists and businesses!!

Bob said - "This issue made some good points for how to operate a business in this down sizing economy ".

I believe you need to understand the perspective of the person who is sharing the info.... so a true business, even run only as a legitimate supplemental income, can differ greatly from a hobby or a self sufficient hobby. Just like understanding if you build for muskie, bass, tuna, etc... it helps you understand where the author is coming from.

Hopefully I didn't roust you too much - throwing all the capitals around like that.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 04:35PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Date: November 10, 2010 05:01PM

Mike the reason for the post was for those who are considering of opening up a shop. When I started over 35 years ago. All I did was repair work at home in a garage. After 5 years of that an building at least 30 rods for myself an being close to a major blank manufacture, plus a major component supplier that could answer any questions I had. I found a great location and opened my shop. Location is a key factor in any business
Remember back then custom rod building was in its infancy. Only a select few were interested in building their own rods. This is why I made the post I knew my demographics of what area I wanted to target, that was Ironhead fishermen. I was located less than 30 minutes from some of Western Washington's best Steelhead/Salmon rivers. Then I was 40 minutes from the Pacific Ocean fishery. So when I opened my shop I already had the skills to target many types of fish. I had a store front business for over 20 plus years and made a good living at it. Matter of fact My business alone allowed me to fish Alaska to the Baja Peninsula in Mexico, Hawaii and Australia. My shop did not sell any factory rods, Reels (I repaired rods & reels) No bait or tackle. I made my money from my workmanship and product knowledge. For those hobbyist who think they can build a custom rod cheaper than a factory rod. They better think twice about it . There is a old saying knowledge cost bucks. look at anyone of these posts. THANK god THIS IS A FREE SITE! Just in literature and books I must have close to 1,000 bucks invested. I did not buy them all at once. Knowledge rules and talent makes money . My post was targeted at those considering opening a shop up. It was not basically intended for the guy who builds 3 rods a year and asked a dozen. questions. Mike you made a comment about bank rolling a few fishing trips and a trip to the ICRBE show. Some how to me that equates to me as a business venture or someone doing business under the table. Both these venues takes money and money means taxes. Also look at some of the email address, some of these indicate a rod type business. Mike at no one time did I chastise anyones quality of workmanship. The post was made to those considering opening up a shop. for those who are just hobbyist this mag should be of interest also. It would keep them informed on what to expect in fishing equipment in the future.

Good Wraps Bob

Date: November 10, 2010 06:42PM

Alex thanks for the input. Like any thing in life, You read an observe all you can on a subject. From that you can make a decision on how to move forward. Like any thing in life there is a learning curve. Also unless You have a PHD. nothing is written in stone. Find what works for you and move forward.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 08:22PM

PhD's really don't count either... I can testify .. LOL!

Date: November 10, 2010 09:22PM

Ken thanks for the correction.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ray Zamora (38.108.42.---)
Date: November 11, 2010 01:12PM

Bob, your case is on point for me. I am developing my skill and knowledge to develop (hopefully) a retirement business. I am starting to do repair and eventually build custom. I ran a google search for FTR or fishing tackle retailer and could not find any contact information except a twitter account. Do you have a wed or physical address to the magazine? I am interested in subscribing.

Thanks and tight lines!

Aquarius Rods - Ray
Pembroke Pines, Fl

Date: November 11, 2010 05:03PM

Bob,
I guess my wording was not the best. Your post was excellent and helpful (I subscribe to FTR) My response was to what I felt was a slight to "hobby" builders who choose to run a small, legitimate side business in AD's response.

"The biggest issue I see on here is the same as many "crafts". People want their hobby to be a business but then treat their business like it's a hobby."

I don't understand how someone chooses to treat their business would be an "issue" I have a legitimate custom rod and repair business (even pay taxes, etc) but choose to run it as craft, choosing my customers and schedule. I just don't see that as an issue. I don't slight the Mega builders who are turning out fine production rods and I don't think that hobby or craft builders should be slighted.

If I offended anyone, I apologize!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: November 11, 2010 06:06PM

Mike I am sorry if We got on the wrong page. I think our thought were headed in the right direction. I think any one who wants to improve on any craft or a business. should have as much knowledge as possible. I think the major differences is between a hobbyist and a business. Is a hobbyist is never has to beat a deadline. Where a business operator has to meet certain deadlines. Even though their skills are the same. Business people who treat it like a hobby a domed to fail, But a hobbyist who treats it like business well succeed. Know a few hobbyist who are true craftsmen and only sell maybe 6 rods a year and have no problem getting what they want. In reality the true craftsmen in the field of rod building is the Bamboo guys. They take a raw tubular grass product and make in to a 8 section work of art that chetches fish and at the same time be placed over a fire place mantel.

Good Wraps Bob

Date: November 11, 2010 08:00PM

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: November 12, 2010 11:49AM

No slight... just matter of fact and sorry if it hurts some feelings, but it is what it is.

Larger businesses focused on profitability "should" be handled differently than a hobby or a hobby business. Different goals, etc

If you are trying to grow, but still working like it's your hobby, you're not going to see the success you would if you lost the hobbyist mindset. Nothing wrong with that mindset - it's just a different perspective.

What's a mega builder anyway?

-----------------
AD

Date: November 12, 2010 01:46PM

Alex to me a mega builder is one that I classified as a mass-merganser that really has no regards to his consumers needs. Explain to me how a mass guy can meet these needs when every fisherman fishes differently, they all have special physical needs. I am not talking fancy wraps now! When I was in businesses I did have shelf rods that I built for my self. If I knew and trusted the customer I let them fish with these rods, I would get their input an design a rod for them. If I did not know them I would ask for 1/2 the price price of the rod. that price would cover all my expenses. Just my farm boy thought, that I believe well go in to a silage pile with most of my comments. but remember silage make for greener grass LOL

Good Wraps Bob

Date: November 12, 2010 04:06PM

"a mega builder is one that I classified as a mass-merganser that really has no regards to his consumers needs"

I'm not sure you can sell too many rods without incorporating consumer input, desire, and need - even the big companies.

-----------------
AD

Date: November 12, 2010 04:58PM

Alex my thoughts exactly, That is why I never competed with the BIG BOX stores. I just told my customers what I could provide for this price and if their was a problem I was always here to take care of it. Even after I retired My past customers new how to get hold of me. I keep a ledger on my old clients so when I retired I sent out over a 1,000 thank you notices. today even after I retired in 2,000 I get holiday cards from most of them. An every couple months someone will call and ask if I can build them a rod. Now that is what I call loyalty. Big Box stores do not get that and you are as a rule, never greeted by them with your first name

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster