I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Two Layer Weave
Posted by: William Wilson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2010 07:21PM

Question: When you do two layer weave,are both layers put onto the jig at the same time and only one pass is made to make the weave. I cannot think of any other way it can be done since the second wrap would cover the first pass if you make a second pass. I feel stupid in asking this question but so be it.

Bill, Fishing The Chesapeake

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Two Layer Weave
Posted by: Ken Bonneau (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 07, 2010 08:13PM

Bill,

Yes, both layers are "stacked" in the jig. Your left list will direct you to move the appropriate color/layer in or out of the pattern {left or right).

Posted by: Ed Hickl (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2010 08:53PM

An excellent reference on how to do thread weaving is Jame Upton's A Guide to Thread Weaving for the Custom Rod Builder. Not only does it have clear instructions, it has several patterns with left lists and also a diagram on how to construct a flat weaving loom. You can find loom suppliers if you don't want to build one. Do a search on the internet for suppliers of the Guide. To me its worth the price. Will make it easier to learn how to weave. It took me a few tries to get the process down for multiple colors. What I learned was to take it easy, keep at it and keep track of where you are during the process and you too will be able to do multiple color weaves. I've done a 5 color weave of a leaping stripped bass on my 4th rod build. It took me a while but If I can do it anybody can. Just don't give up. Main thing is to use a left list and check off where you are in the process.

Also there is a DVD of Doc Ski on how he does advanced weaving. An internet search will help you locate where to get one.

One warning though - I found I have started to collect weaving and wrapping thread like I collect power tools. Never can have too many thread colors.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2010 09:05PM

These articles are in RodMaker Magazine, Volume 5 issue #4 Decorative thread weaving. Volume 6 issue #5 Color Change Weaving.

Posted by: William Wilson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2010 09:00AM

Jim: Unfortunately my collection of RodMaker Magazine only goes back to Volume 11. Haven't been with it that long.

EDL: I have on order Jim's book from Mud Hole and hope to receive it this week. I will look for Doc Ski's DVD.

thanks everyone and Happy Weaving

William

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster