I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal troubles
Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.static.midco.net)
Date: October 25, 2010 12:16PM

I have been using some clear media on open water rods, with no trouble. I am currently building a his and hers Ice rod set, and ran into a snag. The media is to stiff and wants to "unwrap" from the small dia ice blanks. But it doesn't do this until I hit it with the first coat of epoxy. (had a little panic attack last night) I applied new decals last night and wrapped them with thread tying to form them to the blank.

My question is, can i hit it with a blow driers or some other form of heat to shape it to the blank, similar to an abalone inlay? Or, do I opt for a more flexible media and cut my losses?

I just ordered some of Swamplands decal media to try.

Thanks in advance.
Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal troubles
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2010 02:21PM

I'm guessing you haven't read any of the RodMaker articles on applying decals.

Try this - stick it down and then wrap over it with some regular rod wrapping thread. Leave this thread "clamp" in place overnight.

Remove thread and apply your epoxy. The pressure of the thread on the decal overnight generally causes the decal to set and bond to the blank very well.

Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.static.midco.net)
Date: October 25, 2010 02:56PM

No, I haven't read the article. That is exactly what I did though. The decals are wrapped or clamped with thread. Still I wonder if some heat would help things?
Do you know what issue or issues cover this topic?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2010 04:08PM

If the blank is a very, very tiny diameter, you will also benefit from rolling the decal before hand (if it's a peel and stick type) around a shaft even smaller. Let that sit for a few hours to take a curved set.

I suppose there is going to be a limit to how small you can effectively go with such a decal.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (173.17.130.---)
Date: October 25, 2010 08:16PM

Hopefully you can get some of Swampland's clear backed waterslide decal sheets. That's what I used for this image... [www.rodbuilding.org]...

I wrapped with gold thread first then printed the decal entirely in black, minus the lettering which is printed as the color white so it appears clear on clear backed media. That allows the underlying thread to show through.

You won't need to mess with clamping or pre-rolling the media. The only prep is be sure to let the decal dry and then spray it with Krylon Crystal Clear or something similar before applying it to the rod.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster