I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

where can I buy wood grips?
Posted by: Charles Isely (---.lightspeed.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 10:12PM

Howdy! I am new to this forum and I wondered if anyone knows a good source for wood grips?

thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: where can I buy wood grips?
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 23, 2010 10:28PM

J.P.Timberlake, a forum member and Rod Builder makes some beautiful wooden grips. He may have some photos of his grips on the "Photo Page". Maybe he will chime in here and give you some more info.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 10:55PM

Jay Hunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> J.P.Timberlake, a forum member and Rod Builder
> makes some beautiful wooden grips. He may have
> some photos of his grips on the "Photo Page".
> Maybe he will chime in here and give you some more
> info.

I second that, sweet grips and a good price from what I can remember.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2010 11:02PM

There are quite a few rodbuilders that make some very nice grips from all over using a variety of materials. I would suggest trying one of the sponsors on the left as they are the ones that support this forum before going elsewhere. You may want to unhide your email so people can contact you directly.

Posted by: Charles Isely (---.lightspeed.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 24, 2010 08:29AM

Sorry,didn't know

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2010 11:03AM

Charles-JP isn't a sponsor on this site, but he buys a booth at the Expo, and he does a lot for rod building in NC. Most of these sponsors know him and his work, and speaking for myself, I don't think they would begrudge him selling a few wood grips. I've been on this site from the beginning and there are a probably 4 or 5 few folks who have taken wood grips to another level. J.P. is certain one of them. He's a great guy also and in the interest of full disclosure, he's been a friend of mine for a dozen years and he got me started building. I'm not sure my wife either expected or intended that this would become such an obsession. My rod building has become like kudzu-slowly creeping and taking over the whole house one room at a time.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 24, 2010 12:34PM

I second the JP Timberlake recommendation. He is a creative craftsman who offers beautiful works. He also is most helpful with suggestions and instructions.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2010 01:37PM

J.P. supplies at least one of the board sponsors with the wood accent pieces like used for checker inlays. I commisioned J.P. to build a burch bark & amboyna burl fly rod grip for me a while back and it was superb!

MudHole I beleive sells wood grip sets.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: October 24, 2010 01:59PM

If you are looking for the wood itself give Steve a call at reelseatblanks.com you could also ask him about who to make one for you if you like as he deals with many of the board members here on a weekly basis. I am sure that J.P is one of the ones he will recommend as well.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: October 24, 2010 06:18PM

Depending on what you de4sire, I believe Anglers Workshop has some or access to some

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster