I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Playing with my wife's Makeup....
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (199.117.182.---)
Date: September 28, 2010 11:37PM

and rod finish....a friend hooked me up with a small amount of automotive blue pearl paint additive powder the other day to test with my rod finish. I brought it home and showed it to my wife and she took one look as I smeared a smidgen across my hand and said it looked like some of her makeup.....so I told her I was going to do a test run and she said that would be cool, and to try some of her makeup along in the test.

I got the idea after repairing an older Kistler LTA that had this sort of finish, ironically the rod was owned by the guy who runs an automotive paint store.

pictures while it's still drying, will see how she holds up in the morning.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

also, the text you see on the rod was a test for using an extra fine white paint oil based sharpie.....even when i put the TM lite over the paint lightly, it did not pull back, so another score there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2010 11:49PM by Andrew Metzger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Playing with my wife's Makeup....
Date: September 29, 2010 06:31AM

All the samples setup just fine, now I have to wait for the sun to come up.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 02:34PM

Andrew...been using them for years now. It was the same stuff a friend used to tint his own line of swimbaits with.Its extremely fine and adds some pizzaz to wraps,for sure. A little sure goes a loooooong way. :D
Chuck

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: September 29, 2010 02:40PM

Thanks Chuck, I was going to take pics this afternoon when I get home, went to lunch and check them out and yes, a little goes a long way for sure, I can see myself using this on rods, but it'll be more in the greens and natural shades, and the pearls. The greens and pinks just don't look good to me.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 10:40AM

And this makeup is called?.........

Date: September 30, 2010 02:23PM

Eye shadow products. One specific product I have used is Bon Bons Shadow Dust.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 02:52PM

Thanks Chuck. I thought that's what it might be but better to ask and avoid "issues"

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 01, 2010 09:07AM

I'll be darned !! ?? I never would have thought to use make up

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: October 01, 2010 12:04PM

I wou;dn't have thought of it either unless my wife said something about it when I showed her how that blue pearl powder looked when I smeared a touch of it across my hand. A little goes a very very long way.

Date: October 01, 2010 01:27PM

Ken,you are very welcome. Happy to help any and all.

Bill,its called thinking "outside the box." :D I had wondered about some swimbait colors and asked what my friend used in his. I tried it and have been quite happy with what I have found. Clemens was ,at that time, the only source for anything like it and had just a few colors. My friend had the answer....cheaper than Clemens too.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 01, 2010 08:48PM

Bill,its called thinking "outside the box."

If I bought every thing that - might work - I would have hundreds of dollars of stuff that I would have to throw away and - wast - money

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 03, 2010 05:26PM

Sun photos

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster