I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide setup/sizing for 15' fly rod... is this right?
Posted by: Kyle Jud (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2010 03:53PM

I have a customer who sent me a 15' CTS fly blank. This is going to be a 2 handed fly rod for fishing steelhead in Canada. The guides he's requesting are Fuji LVSG. He wants 15 guides total and has them sized like this:

1-#16
1-#12
4-#10
4-#8
5-#7

Two questions... First, these guides seem a little cheap looking for a rod this nice. Are spinning guides like this standard on a fly rod of this type? Second, does this guide sizing seem right, or does it seem a little big? This will be my first big fly rod like this & I want to be able to make suggestions to him if there is a better way to go. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide setup/sizing for 15' fly rod... is this right?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 27, 2010 03:54PM

Dump the 10's, and the 8's. You don't need all those different sizes. They do nothing for you and in fact, create a stair step line path. What you want is a funnel.

Go 16, 12 and then as many 7's as it takes to get out to the tiptop. This will reduce weight and provide for a straighter line path.

Posted by: Kyle Jud (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2010 03:59PM

That's what I figured, thanks Tom. What about the guides themselves? Is LVSG the right choice for this type of rod?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 04:00PM by Kyle Jud.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 27, 2010 04:04PM

I would use that or the SVSG for the first 2, then move to all low frame single foots for the 7's (running guides). But what you suggest would also work. I like to keep the line low to the blank for most of the rod's length to reduce any lever arm effect as much as possible.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mw.usar.army.mil)
Date: September 27, 2010 04:06PM

When I build a Spey rod, which is what this is I there are a few ways to go but traditinal spey rods will have 3 strippers, 16,12,10 they you can go to snakes in 6,5 and 4's up. You can skip the 6 and go from the stripper to the 5 then 4's. Larger guides are needed if he is using shooting heads where there is a sink tip, skagit head, running line and all this in sub freezing weather where ice on the guides is a common thing. Hope this helps you out.

Best of luck,

Eric

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster