I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lumiseal on 7'6" rod, MHMF
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 03:12PM

I just wipes down a 7'6" rod with Lumiseal, I've notice some parts that missed, I used a foam pad from a 4 inch foam brush, I started from the but end to the tip, some bubbles, and missed parts I wet sanded the bubbles with 1000 sand paper, that came out alright, does anyone have any suggestions how to wipe without the misses and the bubbles, I wiped it pretty quick, so I don't think thats the problem.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lumiseal on 7'6" rod, MHMF
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 04:18PM

I have never done this Myself, but from reading posts here the direction to use is tip to butt. By piercing the wet foam brush so it expands around the blank while you move it down the blank. I repeat "I have never done this myself"

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 04:34PM

Me niether, this rod is really long, when i get to the end there is no way i can hold the rod, I have it ona small vise grip, so if i start at the tip I don't know how I will take off the foam pad??

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2010 06:25PM

i have never been able to get consistent results using permagloss or lumiseal. some have had great results and both are great finishes. as far as holding your rod. take a scrap piece of 2 x 6 and drill a hole in the center to place a dowel in the hole. size the dowel so the butt of the blank can fit over the dowel, thus holding the blank vertical. now your blank is in place and you can apply the finish with your foam brush from tip to butt

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2010 06:58PM

I can't imagine why you would have any bubbles. You're no shaking the finish up, are you?

I set the butt on the ground and support the tip with a few fingers of one hand. Wet the cheesecloth (or foam) and make a pass on side, spin and make a pass on the other. Wait about 30 minutes and then repeat. Any missed areas you'll take care of then.

I'd have to watch you do this to point out any problem areas, but I tend to think you may be trying to do too much.

Keep in mind also, that you needn't finish the blank in the area where the handle will be. That will eliminate some amount of trouble for you.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 09:37PM

I chuck the blank in my lathe and only use one support on the very tip. Lock the chuck and wipe on one side from butt to tip. Then unlock and rotate 180 degrees re lock and coat the other side. I also use a foam brush but rather than hold the brush by the handle like Im painting I remove the foam from the handle and hold it with my fingers actually wrapping around the blank and wipe the Lumiseal on with some pressure so the finish doesn't go on too thick. After drying 24 hrs, scuff with Scotch brite pad to remove any imperfections, clean and re coat. Usually two coats will be all that's needed. Always comes out looking good. You could be creating bubbles if your brushing it, and just working it too much. Definitely get a scrap piece of blank and practice on it, it you will find out what you cant do pretty quick.

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: September 21, 2010 10:39AM

The bubbles tend to come out of the foam brush depending on how wet it is and how hard you press. I think it just takes practice. But I know when Tom suggested I use a foam brush when I was last trying it, that made a big difference but still took practice.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 21, 2010 11:01AM

Once the blank is ready to finish I mark where the seat and handle go putting tape one inch under the seat Put a paper clip hook on the butt to hang up. Then ( with clean hands ) I grab the center, on long blanks, coat from the center to tip ( outside ) better light, Then slide my hand to the handle area reload the foam and coat the butt section - making sure I overlap onto the first coat. I never could see where they over lapped. Hand up to dry.

So you don't miss you could put tap around the blank -at the butt - and mark it to see as you turn it. Might help.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster