I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod shop in Ohio
Posted by: mike burnette (209.105.133.---)
Date: September 07, 2010 10:05PM

Hey All,
Anybody know about this Rod building shop?
The Rod Maker's Shop in Strongville, Ohio .
Or maybe they are on the board.
thanks Mikeb

Home Town,Gretna VA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod shop in Ohio
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2010 10:36PM

I used to frequent it during my undergrad days. On more than one occasion I stopped in while Joe Thomas was in the shop. It's a really great shop. They are one of the best stocked bass fishing shops I've ever been in, along with a great selection of steelhead gear and some musky and walleye fishing stuff.

I may be wrong, but other than maybe some in-house repair work, I don't think they do much in the way of custom work. At least I never saw any evidence or literature promoting custom rods around. At that time I don't recall seeing much, if any, rod building supplies available to the retail customer.

I need to make my way up there again for a visit.

Joe

Posted by: dave schaub (129.230.244.---)
Date: September 08, 2010 08:22AM

For those that are not aware of it, Janns NetCraft is located in a suburb of Toledo OH(Maumee). I frequent it and they have an
excellent stock of blanks and rod building supplies. If you are a business, ask about the St Croix deal.
I got my sweet 5 wt travel rod from them (St Croix). I dont think they build rods but they do repairs.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: September 08, 2010 08:29AM

I`m about 40 miles away and visit a few times a year. Joe is correct as it is a very well equipped bass and walleye shop.
At least one of the owners is a rod builder. They do not carry blanks any more. He told me if I had the blank they carry all of the components. None were where you could see or touch. Just a little of this and that in the back room. If you are in the area stop and look It is a nice store.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 08, 2010 11:50AM

Check Jann's on the left. They have a very extebsive inventory and GREAT service and good prices. I'm very surprised if they quit carrying blanks as they always handled a wide range of brands!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: September 08, 2010 12:35PM

Mike,

I was referring to ``The Rod Makers Shop`` in Strongsville, Ohio. They stopped carrying blanks several years ago. Jann`s Netcraft is definately still selling blanks.

Sorry if that sounded confusing.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2010 12:42PM by Bill Eshelman.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 08, 2010 02:30PM

Bill, You scared me LOL!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 08, 2010 10:02PM

I live only a few minutes away and stop by from time to time for the "odd guide" on repairs. Frank there is the rod builder and a nice guy. not sure what you were looking for but but they do not carry much aside from guides, thread and some odd supplies. Great fishing shop with a 'boat load' of bass stuff, if you are into that.

Posted by: mike burnette (209.105.133.---)
Date: September 08, 2010 10:40PM

I call today and talk to Frank..Super nice guy.
I was lookin for info on a rod that he built.
It was featured in a In Fisherman article.
I have a friend that wants one like it.
thanks,,'mikeb

Home Town,Gretna VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster