I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Favorite cork putty filler and cork finish for handles?
Posted by: Peter Chan (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 03:09PM

For you experienced and more particular fly rod builders out there... I am in the middle of my first attempt at shaping two, flor-grade cork, small fly rod handles. The cork is of very good quality and so far shows minimal need for any filler. Nevertheless, I wanted some input as to what I need to do to make well-finished, "top-shelf" handles:

What have you found to be the best quality putty filler?

Is it necessary to apply a cork finish whether or not you end up using a filler?

If that is your preference, what cork finishing product do you recommend for a custom cork handle? Thanks again!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite cork putty filler and cork finish for handles?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 04:33PM

Peter
When ever possible, I avoid the use of any putty or filler. Any putty or filler - no matter the method or type, will eventually fail after use.
So, if you can work with near perfect cork - which is getting increasingly hard do to in the days of current cork quality - avoid adding any filler.

I also would rather not add any finish or preserver over the cork as well. I prefer the natural feel that you get with a highy smoothed cork finish on high quality cork.

------
If I have to use a filler, I tend to use Elmers light oak putty. It is a near perfect match for most cork and is a product that is easy to work with.

If you have to use a finish, I prefer to use the u-40 cork seal product. It also is an excellent product and easy to work with.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 04:36PM

I second all of the points that Roger covered. Any filler used will make it look like it was "filled."

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 04, 2010 06:17PM

Ditto, what Roger said.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 10:57PM

If you have to use a cork filler, Pit Paste is the best cork filler you will find. Ask any of the sponsors on the left side if they carry Roddancer products.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 05, 2010 08:58AM

I got some Pit past and like it.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 05, 2010 10:17AM

Elmer's Lt. oak if ABSOLUTELY necessary, and U-40 Cork Sealer.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: September 05, 2010 06:46PM

I build fly rods almost exclusively. I t seems that fly fisherman are more picky about the cork in their grips then others.
I usually use the best grade I can get and if I need to fill I use Elmers light oak like others suggest.
The only sealer I use is to cove the grip in heat shrink plastic to keep it clean for delivery.
I put it on as soon as the grip is shaped so my grubby mitts don't mess it up.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: September 07, 2010 12:43PM

golden oak for me when I use it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 07, 2010 02:01PM

The golden Oak that is in my Home Depot is a non hardening type ?? Came in the little jar. Thta ia why I went to the pit past.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 07, 2010 03:37PM

Bill,
Go back to Home Depot and get the Elmers filler in light Oak.
This comes in a tube about 6 inches high.

I think you will be happy with it. It sets up nicely in a farily short time. If you need to clean up, the use of acetone - used carefully - will take care of the filler.

Roger

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: September 07, 2010 08:20PM

I have no idea why you would suggest a harsh chemical like acetone to clean up a wood filler when plain water or even alcohol would do just as good a job as anything else and not cause any potential harm to yourself. I just don't understand the use of harsh chemicals when it's not necessary.

I use acetone on a very limited basis only when absolutely necessary. 90% of my cleanup is done with water and alcohol.

Lance

Date: September 08, 2010 01:39PM

Lance,
Simply because for this particular product, Acetone works much much better than alchol or water or any combination of the two.

I use the filler to go over the handle, paying attention to any of the deep pits, etc. But there is always a build up, that needs to be there to accomodate shrinkage etc.

Then, I put the handle in the lathe and spin it with an acetone dampened rag. This does a wonderful job of cleaning up the handle and insuring that you have a good job, with no sandpaper which changes the contour and finish of the handle.

If you use either water or alchol - in this application, you end up digging the filler back out of the pits. Just my experience.

When I am doing this, I am doing it out of doors with a high speed fan blowing across the handle and acetone so that I am not breathing in any fumes with my respirator on.

If you have another method, great.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster