I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

BridgeAid dental floss threaders as tie off loops
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 30, 2010 04:15PM

I bought these dental floss threaders (through that on-line @#$%& site). I'm wondering if I got the right thing or not. The ones I have are hard plastic (blue). I tried using them as tie off loops. Are these the type that others are using?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BridgeAid dental floss threaders as tie off loops
Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2010 05:13PM

I use them to thread bobbins, but I find them a little too thick to use to pull through the ends of wraps. I use 6# fluocarbon I tie in a loop for that.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: August 30, 2010 05:36PM

That brand seems a bit heavy. The ones I use are GUM brand and are like heavy blue monofilament:
They are available directly from most drug stores next to the dental floss:

[www.walgreens.com]

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2010 07:19PM

Ken,
As I posted earlier, the use of 10 lb power pro - bright yellow with a single bead left about the knot works very well.
Just keep the bead close to the thread when wrapping and you don't get a floppy bead.

10 yards of power pro will tie many many tie off loops. Just a cut with the scissor, and a surgeons knot to tie the ends together and you have a perfect tie off pull through loop.

If you don't know what a surgeons knot is - it is simply an overhand knot that is pulled back through the loop about 4 or 5 times, before pulling tight.

[www.netknots.com]

Take care
Roger

Date: August 30, 2010 07:46PM

I've been using PowerPro but thought I'd try these based on a previous thread. Obviously I got the WRONG thing and should have read more closely. These are too thick, too stiff and hard (nearly impossible) to use as tie-off loops. Off to the local drug store.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.3.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 02, 2010 10:50PM

Those in the above drugstore link are what I use. They are much stiffer than Power Pro, which I think is a good thing.Stick'em under a thread and they stay in place.
I imagine, though, if you are used to braided line, or regular thread, it would take some getting used to to use the floss threaders.

Date: September 02, 2010 11:07PM

I found the correct ones - but I haven't had a chance to try them out as yet. I've been stripping and refinishing rods for repair (prepping for guide wraps). The spar should be dry enough tomorrow to start the rewrapping on the guides. Two are heavy old Fenwick 30lb trolling rods that the customer wants redone as original so I'll be wrapping with that rather unattractive brown/tan Size D thread (original was E but I can't make myself go there)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster