I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PVC and Compressed Air EVA/foam grips
Posted by: Darrel Murphy (---.stlucie.k12.fl.us)
Date: August 26, 2010 12:40PM

Hey folks,
I need a little help finding plans to a custom tool. I build one of these, but lost it. Or it was thrown away. It was a long PVC pipe with an air compressor fitting and a shut off valve attached to one end. You used the air from a compressor to stall the foam grip. the air would expand the grip without compressing it shorter and you only had to gently slide the foam grip down the rod. Also, you only needed to put rod epoxy in the area where the grip was going to be placed. No excess epoxy on the rod.

I have tried searching, but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I wish I did not loose the last one I made. Great tool.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PVC and Compressed Air EVA/foam grips
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2010 10:57AM

Darrel,
I have several in the shop.
I call them compressor blow guns. I use them for general purpose cleaning of the shop and garage.
But, with the various tips, short, long, big and little, they also work wondefully well to install and deinstall grips.

Not only do they work well for eva foam grips, but they work to install grips on tillers, bicycles, snow mobiles, motor cycles, etc.

Milton makes a line of high quality air tools, blow guns and other air - based accessories. These tools are commonly used in garages and other industrial users of air compressors and accessories.

[miltonindustries.com]

If you have an air compressor and air distribution system in your shop, the use of Milton based accessories lead to a leak free and useful shop.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
In use, simply take one of the smaller diameter blow gun tips listed above, slightly flatten the end of the tip to make it easier to insert the tip under the edge of a grip - and use the comppressed air from the compressor and blow gun to allow the grip to easily slide up and down the blank.

p.p.s.
Note that many of the blow guns on the market are called - safety blow guns. In order to meet Osha requirments, a "safety" blow gun can have no more than 30 psi at the tip of the gun. The idea of the "safety" blow guns is that the reduced pressure at the tip of the blow gun is to prevent human body injury in case the gun is touching a body part when it is turned on.

Note that in the milton catalog, there are blow guns listed which are NOT of the safety blow gun variety. i.e. there is no safety relief hole in the nozzle to reduce pressure at the tip of the blow gun. If you do use one of these non safety style blow guns, use your descrition in how you use the gun.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 27, 2010 11:02AM

You should be able to find any thing you need to make one at a Home Depot or similar store. They carry compressors and many types of air hoses and blow gun attachments.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ferdi Goldschagg (41.177.101.---)
Date: October 14, 2010 07:47AM

Does anyone maybe have a pic of one of these home made pvc tubes (grip installers)?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster