I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Colors on an RX7+
Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 26, 2010 03:39AM

For those who like to have fun with color...

I have an RX7+ and a Shikari blank made by ATC that - as far as I can tell - are almost exactly the same color. Does anyone have some suggestions for killer combinations?

The largest assortment of threads I have not used on other rods already is a Fish Hawk assortment of the nylon and the metallics. I may be over-inspired by my upcoming trip to Alaska to fish for Silvers with pink and orange flies, but I was looking at a pink metallic and goldenrod and scarlet in the nylon.

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Colors on an RX7+
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 26, 2010 10:00AM

Tony ...
Pink? Is Mrs M going on this trip with you??

Posted by: Tony Scott (74.116.156.---)
Date: August 26, 2010 12:49PM

You would think so! The color actually looks great on that gloss brown blank, and clearly I am being influenced by the whacky colors of the flies we use up there in AK.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 26, 2010 01:17PM

Since you like the pink ?? then use any other colors from the flies.

You can also not use CP and the thread will get transparent, then with CP as off the spool.

Try some wraps on the butt where the handle goes

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: August 26, 2010 03:14PM

I did one for my tournament partner using pink metallic Fish hawk, with Sulky cranberry metallic trim. It looks fantastic.

Date: August 26, 2010 04:14PM

Awesome. Thanks, Mike

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: August 26, 2010 09:43PM

Uhh...us men in Alaska (You tourists may though..) don't fish pink wrapped rods, but let me ask my wife and her friends. Just kidding... But if i see you up here with a pink wrapped rod, I will come on over rand say hello.

All seriousness now; the combo you suggested does not sound all that bright and wild to me. I would use the Madera poly neon colors with CP and come up with a good combo. I have them all and they are VERY bright.

Have a great trip!

Paul

Where ya going?

Date: August 27, 2010 12:07PM

Paul -

Thanks for chiming in. I am actually leaning more toward purple, but if I do go pink, it will be gold metallic trim band, not purple because I do not want to look like some gay rights thing!

I am visiting a store here in Baltimore that carries the Madeira Poly-Neon. Great stuff and brilliant colors!

We will be fishing the Katalla River, out of Orca Adventure Lodge in Cordova. We are in Anchorage the night of Sat., Sept. 4 and Monday morning until I catch that Era flight in to Mud Hole Airport (not kidding!)

If you are in Anchorage, let me know and you can stop by and admire the Barbie rod over beers! ha ha ha

Tony

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2010 12:08PM

Fess up - where is the Madiera place in B-more? I can always divert or add to a trip to Tochterman's

Date: September 14, 2010 01:51PM

Ken -

Here is a link to the place. Call ahead and arrange to meet with Tawanda. She helped me out and was intrigued by this new use for their threads.

I promised her I would show her the finished rod, so if you want to meet there mid-day some weekday, let's do it.

[www.allstitch.net]

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster