I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy over CP residue
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 19, 2010 01:28PM

I just completed a butt wrap yesterday...sorry Bill, customers choice. I did 5 wraps of a sacraficial thread to tighten up the threads and then added CP and then took off the sacrificial thread after it all dried. This left a little CP reidue on the remaining threads. Should I use some alcohol and a que tip to remove most of the residue, thus threatening to loosen up some of the remaining threads, or will the epoxy dissolve this residue without becoming slightly opaque? Thanks. Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy over CP residue
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 19, 2010 02:22PM

Sounds like you did it wrong If you got the article read it - but read it Don't just skim over it plus you should never do a wrap on a customers rod unless you did it - First - on scrap for Practice

I am thinking you are doing a Tiger wrap ???

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2010 02:54PM by bill boettcher.

Date: August 19, 2010 02:54PM

Gosh Bill...what article? Also, for your information, since you make all these assumptions about things, I did this wrap on a test wrap including wiping away the residue with alcohol, which seemed to work, but then I got to thinking about it and thought I would ask for the more experienced estimate. Hmmmm...did you offer any? Stating the question more abstractly, would not the epoxy just dissolve the CP residue without affecting the clarity of the epoxy? After all, we epoxy over CP all the time. There are no huge globs of residue.

Date: August 19, 2010 02:59PM

hay before you jump on me what kind of wrap are you doing I read 5 wraps of sacrificial thread

A tiger wrap ??

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2010 03:14PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2010 03:11PM

I'm not really sure what type wrap you did but epoxy will not dissolve CP. As long as the CP is evenly distributed on everything there should be no problem. Now if you have CP on some threads and not on others then things are going to be spotty once the CP is applied.

Date: August 19, 2010 03:25PM

I have put water on - water based CP and it has smoothed it out after 20 - 30 min.

But after a day Don't know if it will work. Dip the brush in water and give it a shot. If it works after sitting and drying about an hour or two and another coat of CP.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 19, 2010 03:26PM

Sorry Bill, I only had 4 hours of sleep due to night tournament. It is a diamond wrap. I completed the wrap and then added 5 wraps of a different color because I have noticed that the threads on the inside get tighter as you add threads to the outside, for the diamond wrap at least. So I did this, added the extra threads, coated the whole wrap even with CP, let it dry, and then peeled off the last 5 wraps. Some of the CP left very small pieces of white on the remaining threads, which easily comes off with alcohol. However, when I did this on my test wrap, some of the threads lossened up a bit. So I just got to thinking about a better way to do this...and also I do not know what the effect of the alcohol, which evaporates quickly has on the epoxy. It did not seem to affect the epoxy I put on the test wrap.

Date: August 19, 2010 03:48PM

Tension is the key. Billy V had a trick and added a tight thread to hold the wrap all together.

Sounds like you are going a little too loose. If too loose the threads will move as CP is added.

Another thing you can do is as you pack add drops of CP to all points - if packed well - let dry . this helps to hold things together.

Also at the tape where the threads stick - if the thread goes upward you can take a tool and push it - more upward to make it a little tighter.

As you wrap these tricks you will learn takes time

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 19, 2010 04:08PM

here is a site that has a lot of info on thread wraps [rodbuildingtutorials.com]

study it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2010 05:44PM

Depending upon the elongation of your pattern, too much tension can actually work against you. It causes the threads on the outside to roll off the threads they cross. There is a happy medium and once you've done this long enough you'll find it.

Putting a sacrificial group of threads on the outside of the pattern while CP dries is not a bad idea, however. If I wore a hat I'd take it off to you for your inventiveness.

Date: August 19, 2010 06:00PM

Tom, thanks. The credit however goes to Steve Johnson. Clinton

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster